Elec grounding issue

Larson

Hi all

When I transmit on the VHF, the EI oil press/temp gauge goes to zero. I suspect its a grounding issue, but haven't been out to check it out yet. Anyone had a similar experience or idea on first point of call?

Thinking it might be an issue with the mike grounding out to airframe, at the mike jack input.

Lars.

Snowbirdxx

Lars,

just do not look at the gauge when transmitting. What you experience seems to be HF related and is on many Huskys coming from the factory that way.

You may try to wrap the EI cables in aluminum that gets grounded. Chances to solve the problem 1:100. But it is not worth the work. Drink a Beer instead, much better results & satisfaction.

TomD

Larson

Tom

The cables coming out of the EI unit is a bit like beer... so many to choose from. Many different colours, so many flavours.

I think we will start with one and sample, if it passes we will sample another.. after the fourth, fifth, the problem doesn't seem to be a problem.

The husky won't get fixed, but we will answer many problems that didn't know needed fixing!

Thanks for the advice..

Cheers Lars..

Jerry Cain

I won't bore you with the long story of when I first noticed this in my Husky. Adding more shielding will help, but not completely do away with the effect. When I transmit, the pressure still drops, just not to zero. As Tom said, just don't look at any guages when you are transmitting.

Larson

G/day Jerry

I think you guys are right, as long as it doesn't interfere with anything else, i'll just "keep on truckin".

Although it might hurt my head more!

Lars.

jkalus

Lars,

I don't have the EI gage any more, but I did have the problem you describe. I think it was solved with a shorter instrument screw.

Joe

jkalus

Try removing the screws and see if you can duplicate the problem with them removed. If I remember correctly, one of the screws is creating a short to the panel. My particular problem was the temp getting a negative sign in front of it during transmit.

Joe

Larson

I removed the front "mike" jack and insulated it from the airframe. My problem has gone away. I also checked the screws on the instrument face, they were all the same length and short enough to do the job, but not too long (as joe mentioned).
So far so good.
Thanks for everyones input.
Lars..

ttreed

I picked my Husky up at the factory. They were buttoning it up when they discovered this exact problem. They took the side panels off and started wrapping the harness with foil. They would wrap and test, wrap and test. They finally nailed it and it has worked perfectly ever since.