First ground loop, butt kicked, humbled

DavePA11

Did a spirited ground loop coming back to Minden from the Root some years back. Weather was forcasting T-storms south of Minden moving north. Unstable atmosphere, hot, and with smaller white cumulus above me. Surface wind was easterly as I flew the "pattern" to land along the north edge of a dry lake bed so Thumper (golden retriever co-pilot) could do her thing. On rollout light easterly changed to strong southerly. Full rudder and left brake didn't help at all, as the lakebed was glazed and slick. Around we went, and as probably most would do, I watched the left wingtip as it swept within a foot or two of the ground and we finished our 180 in a cloud of dust. Whew!! Most of the sidewalls covered with alkali dust. Considered myself lucky waiting or pulse rate to get out of the red-line range.

As I got out, wind was blowing under the fuselage strong, but shortly abated. Must have been a thermal kicking off just to my north, with resulting in-rush wind.
So if landing on pavement with calm winds and upon touch down have a gust of wind pick up your left wing significantly as an example what is the best method to prevent a ground loop with the left tire off the runway and right tire digging into the pavement?

Full right rudder and brake along with stick full back to left or full power and takeoff?

Last edited:

belloypilot

I would think full left aileron would be the most important corrective action along with right rudder. After that, making the commitment to either stop the ground roll or get airborne is kind of a judgment call - not that there’s much time to contemplate. I don’t think I’d hit the power unless the wings were level and I knew I had enough runway in the direction I was currently pointed to safely take off. A ground loop is still a better outcome that a full power induced smoking crater. My $0.02.

DavePA11

Makes sense about not applying power without wings level on one wheel. If full left aileron doesn’t do anything then applying right break to slow it down and keep it going straight maybe… Thanks for the reply.

Kent Wien

If you run out of rudder, use the brake on that side. Not something you plan on having to do each time but it’s effective.