Flying in the Alps with Tom

Snowbirdxx

Lots of flying, eating and drinking this weekend. Crossed the alps twice in 14500 ft , emptied 2 bottles of O2.
New tailspring and trim system are awesome.
Balbido, shown here, is a new strip in Trentino near the Brenta valley. 330 ft long, 2200 ft MSL. Find the Husky and the strip.
Excellent restaurant nearby, the pic was taken from the terrace of the restaurant.
Spent the night at Campo Jonathan near Venice. Thunderstorms at night, flyties worked and no tree hit the Husky. One of the trees in the restaurants garden gave up. One of the trees under which I normally park, lost big branches. Lucky me.

The Husky is a awesome plane to do stuff like that.

Here is Balbido vrest.jpg

Glorioso.jpg

Last edited:

Snowbirdxx

A friends plane in Balbido one day after I ve been there, Grass is not too long. The pic I took was taken from the restaurant which is on the left side of this picture on the hill behind. About the height of the rudder tip all the way to the left.

tbienz

Cool video. Is that runway really only 330 feet? It looks much longer than that in the video. Was it maybe 330 meters?

Snowbirdxx

A friends plane in Balbido one day after I ve been there, Grass is not too long. The pic I took was taken from the restaurant which is on the left side of this picture on the hill behind. About the height of the rudder tip all the way to the left.
Cool video. Is that runway really only 330 feet? It looks much longer than that in the video. Was it maybe 330 meters?
Thomas , Balbido is 120m long. But with a good slope.

Snowbirdxx

I was in Italy over the weekend giving checkrides for the MOU rating. All 3 candidates, all ATP rated passed and loved the Husky, they were not aware what this little thing can do

The Husky is just an awesome performing plane. Flying home it was 3/4 fueled, me, Ulla and Gina the Dog on board, lots of luggage from shopping in Italy and 2 gal of Oive oil. It took of from the Locher Mountain strip within 150ft with a slight headwind and climbed with 2450 RPM and FT up to 12.000 ft, so we can cross the ridge south of there. A 20 KT tailwind created light chops even in 12.000, well the peaks around us were 14.000 but I have no oxygen for the dog. ATC was extremely cooperative and we descended slowly after clearing the mountains to 9000 ft after 50 minutes. A light quartering tailwind helped us to have 135 mph GS almost all the time with 2000 RPM. ATC let US fly through Stuttgart C airspace direct into a base to our homefiled.
Distance covered 201 miles , time flown 1h 31 min. Fuel used 42 liters / 11 Gals. Try that in a Super Cub.