Flying with a dog

I have about 25 hours in my A1. I’m trying to figure out if I can safely load my 70 pound dog in the back seat/cargo area. Obviously he exceeds the 50 pound cargo limit. Would it be safe to just block the very back part so that he has to be more in the seat area? Interested in other’s thoughts and experience. Thanks.
Chris

Ak Kurt

Chris, if you do carry your dog in the back seat area I would remove the rear stick and somehow cover the base of it somehow so dog can not interfere with is somehow.

Kurt

Kurt, thanks and duly noted. My plan was to fold the seatback forward. It doesn’t go flat but it definitely covers up the stuff he could get us in trouble with.

Kent Wien

We carry a 23 pound dog behind the passenger seat all the time. I put clear film on the inside of the windows and had some really nice fabric covered padded interior panels made to keep her and the airplane protected. Also installed a ‘latch system’ for her harness.

Proteus

I think it should be ok, if you can just keep him from operating the controls or the throttle or radio :)

Fortunately my spaniel is not as bulky as he wishes he was and goes in the back pretty nicely with the seat up.

Jim Christian

I think it should be ok, if you can just keep him from operating the controls or the throttle or radio :)

Fortunately my spaniel is not as bulky as he wishes he was and goes in the back pretty nicely with the seat up.
My biggest dilemma is whether to let my Border Collie stick to navigating or to let him handle the r/t as well.

Proteus

I would say, maybe 4 or 5 flights but it was spread out over quite some time.

The first day we had him as a pup I brought him out to the airfield to get familiar with the noises and the plane. Then started out just taxying around a bit. Then did a shorter flight or two (maybe 15 mins or 20 mins). He was pretty excited and found take off very odd. Then just built it up. Now he'll go pretty happily behind the seat. I'm trying to come up with a net or a cage to put him in whilst I'm solo. although I don't think he'd come forwards now it's better to be safer just in case. He tends to be interested in taxying around, take off , then he tends to go to sleep until landing.

I bought the mutt muffs for him, but he doesn't really keep them on.

Snowbirdxx

If I fly without luggage in the back, I use a foldable plastic box as a spacer. Dog sits on a plywood plate covered with lamb fur. If there are bags that plate goes on top of them. The plate is about 15" below the backseat top. I attached two D clamps to the sides of the rear top panel and run a chord across. This cord is attached to a short leach, where I hook the dogs harness up to. She just loves to fly. more than 2000 hrs now, several hundreds of Alps crossings, mostly asleep at altitude and waking up on the descend. She wears Muttmuffs.

groshel

So here is my dog / Husky story.

Before my current dog we had a female Rottie named Jenny who loved to fly in our Grumman. She’d jump up onto the wingroot, over into the cockpit and settle in the back with her harness and mutt-muffs.. Loved to look at soaring birds and never complained...

10 years later we have a new dog, a Buhund puppy ( looks like a small Elkhound) , named.....Piper ( isn’t that an imaginative name). I got Piper the same week I got the Husky. BTW: Buhunds are very sharp, very aware.

First day I take Piper to the hangar at about 4 months old, she reluctantly goes into the cold dark hangar with this big yellow thing towering over her...walks around it and proceeds to take a “dump” under the right wing, then runs out the door back to the car.

Next time I took her out and lifted her into the Husky’s back seat and you’d think I was butchering her...I never heard her squeal so much. So at that this point I realize she’s never going flying with me... these days she sits in the car with the doors open while I’m in the hangar with no interest in hanging out while I tinker.

So thought that this would be the end of the story until this past Nov. when a friend showed up in a worn, red, straight-tailed 172... while I’m just on the ramp sitting in the left seat “b.s.ing” Piper comes over and almost kills herself trying to get over the wheel failing and up inside the plane. I lift her up, toss her in the back seat and she was happy as a clam...we didn’t fly that day but the way she was acting she was perfectly fine with it.

I figure the answer to my dog / plane problem is to ...ditch the Husky and buy a 172 (NO) ...buy an additional plane (maybe) ....paint the Husky red (maybe it’s the color..naw ...dogs are color blind, right?) ... get a different dog (NO) .... or find a dog shrink (maybe)... I hate to leave her at home.

Chris

tbienz

I tried getting my German Shepherd to fly...he really looked like he wanted to, but he didn’t fit in the plane. Maybe if I removed the seat and control stick. If I forced the door closed by pushing his head in, his chest was on the back of my chair and pushing the stick full forward. His head was next to mine. He was 135# so it was like having a person back there. 3AF077EA-0112-4AC7-94E5-D7FB4CB64B66.jpeg

Attachments

• F8625483-6648-4D22-8D63-61C92CC5AC34.jpeg
    F8625483-6648-4D22-8D63-61C92CC5AC34.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 337B11D7-E83D-4B55-B8FE-EAF057E5E2DB.jpeg
    337B11D7-E83D-4B55-B8FE-EAF057E5E2DB.jpeg
    327.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 5015E340-9A4E-4167-B54A-8E8096209B2A.jpeg
    5015E340-9A4E-4167-B54A-8E8096209B2A.jpeg
    331.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 5373EB79-33D9-4AC5-BC2E-7631DE7807D2.jpeg
    5373EB79-33D9-4AC5-BC2E-7631DE7807D2.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 52

tbienz

Sorry about the photos of the unhappy Cessna twin that somehow got attached as well. I still don’t fully understand how the photo attachment process works in this forum. On that note...this is what happens when you hand-prop a twin without chocks or brakes on. It ”ate” our 100LL truck, the blade nearly punctured the tank, could have been much worse.

Snowbirdxx

If you take the rearseat back out, get two ball pip pins to replace the 3 bolts on the bottom. The bolts are never aligned, thats why you leave the middle one out. On the rear stick, ger a fitting wingnut. You then may put the seatback in the baggage compartment. I have never put it there but it may work. With the pip pins you can remove the rear seat back within a minute.