Flying with a dog

Floyd

My dog just loves flying and will pout whenever he has to stay back. I bought him a set of muffs and he must like them for he leaves them on even after a couple hour flight.

Attachments

• 8E4DD37B-7561-401F-A17F-C62EED208B7E.jpeg
    8E4DD37B-7561-401F-A17F-C62EED208B7E.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 17

Kent Wien

I came across some alternatives to the Mutt Muffs as we weren’t so impressed by the sound deadening qualities of those. Haven’t tried theses though:

Proteus

That's an excellent find Kent. I've just done a trip away with my pup, about 2-3 hour legs and he knocked the muffs off at some point on them. He has a shiny pretty smooth coat, so the muffs to tend to slide down if he rubs them on anything. It looks as if the Rex ones would stay in place more easily. I think I might give them a shot.

tbienz

My guy didn’t fit. He was ready, but I couldn’t close the door while keeping him off the stick. Didn’t want to fly with the door open as I think he would fall out.

Attachments

• 0FEFB8DF-4766-4C1A-BDFF-2A9BB6F498EA.jpeg
    0FEFB8DF-4766-4C1A-BDFF-2A9BB6F498EA.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 19

Proteus

If you got in would he accept the door being closed?

Mine looks out the side hatch until I close it, then watches me through the window until I get in. Then after take off I think he just lies down and goes to sleep

tbienz

I tried, but he was so big that his head and neck stuck out about even with my head up front. He has since passed away, he was a great dog but got Degenerative Myelopathy and lost control of his rear half.
I’m planning on a new puppy in July...border collie/Aussie cross so he will be substantially smaller than “Aero” my 135# German Shepherd was in this photo.

Proteus

I received the rex specs muffs last week and gave them a try this weekend. Mixed results (possibly due to installer error) first flight he had somehow removed them. Second flight, much better and they stayed on. Being soft and a good ear pad size I suspect they're quite a bit better than the mutt muffs for noise reduction. I'll report back after he's got used to them and has a few more hours in his logbook with them.

My copilot has the Rex Specs muffs. I like that they are made in Wyoming, seems appropriate.
I have tested them on him by calling when he has them on and they definitely cut some sound out. So far, with more than a few treats involved, he has kept them on in the hangar for extended periods. If I can get this damn annual and mods done, we will test them in the airplane.

Proteus

In my experience if you can go up a few times with a passenger to look after them it can make things easier as you can leave that stress to your passenger. Mine on his first flights just loved looking around and looking for birds. He wasn't sure about take off though and would pancake down when he thought the floor was moving up at him. After a while we noticed that he would be engaged for take off, then just go to sleep until it was time to land.

bumper

My golden, Thumper, only took off her Mutt Muffs* ear protection once, that was on her first test flight in the pattern. I promptly landed. Guess she's a quick learner as she never took them off again. This is at the Root back in 2012:

*Not sure I'd recommend the Mutt Muffs though, better than nothing, but for a floppy or big eared dog they don't seem like they'd be all that comfortable. Kent Wien's suggestions (post #24) look to be better choices.

tbienz

Good to see that photo. I believe I was there that year too. Based on the resolution of the photo Bumper posted compared to mine and all the others posted on this thread, I think Bumper has something to teach us about posting photos. Bumper, how did you get such a “large” high resolution photo to be accepted by this forum’s software?

Ksmith

I remember that picture, I was there too. That’s when we met in person. Along with a lot of others. It was my first trip there.

bumper

Good to see that photo. I believe I was there that year too. Based on the resolution of the photo Bumper posted compared to mine and all the others posted on this thread, I think Bumper has something to teach us about posting photos. Bumper, how did you get such a “large” high resolution photo to be accepted by this forum’s software?
I first save the picture to Imgur.com, then copy the url to my post here. So this website isn't actually accepting the large picture file, just links to the Imgur file. Imgur is free as far as I know. That said, I'm pretty clueless about all this computer stuff. Me and computers have a somewhat tenuous relationship.

Sam now has about 15 hours in the Husky. Most of that was in short hops while we argued about who was pilot flying and whether or not I needed an engineer to manage the throttle. I insisted I should have the whole duty, at least on my legs. He insisted we should share the load and that he preferred functioning as engineer since the back seat stick was missing anyway. That miscommunication resulted in some glider practice. I tried to build a guard to keep him from making uncommanded power changes but ultimately just disconnected the rear throttle. 798B8924-6B6E-4618-8C0F-E9A4848603EB.jpeg