Gateway, Colorado

tbienz

My wife and I recently took a 4 day trip to a location I read about in an aviation magazine. It is called Gateway Resort. I thought I might write a brief report in case others in the Utah/Colorado/Wyoming area might want to make a visit.
It is in a beautiful location for sight-seeing flights and has a public use BLM strip right next to it. The runway condition is fine for a Husky...not so great for a retractable gear plane. The resort was established by the creator of the Discovery Channel. You can do pretty much whatever suits you while there with two pools, and plenty of hiking trails. You can rent kayaks/river rafts, mountain bikes, Razor side by sides/ATV's, jeeps, guns for skeet etc. There is a spa if you or your spouse is so inclined. They have a helicopter and the flight crew is more than happy to share their scenic flight plans with you if you wish to re-trace their path with the Husky. There is also a fantastic domestic auto museum with cars from the Model T, a 1906 Cadillac, Dusenburg, all the way to Chargers, Mustangs and other muscle cars of the 70's. You can rent a 700hp Baja truck and race on a closed dirt track, taking lessons from their instructors on how to complete 70ft jumps. You can also rent any of about 15 high end cars like Bentley's, 230mph AMG Mercedes, Ford GT, Tesla etc. It's really quite a remarkable place, especially considering it is in the middle of nowhere...9CO3 is the airport identifier. About 35 air miles south west of Grand Junction and a the same distance east of Moab. No, it's not exactly a cheap camp-out destination, but if you go, you are likely to have the place to yourself. There are only 70 rooms and at times, we dined alone in some of the restaurants.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 73
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 74