How does he get the tail up so fast?

rnorty

I saw this clip online, I'm curious how does he get the tail up so fast? If I jam the throttle in, wait a moment or two, and hold full forward it seems to take nearly double the time and distance of this guy, even when lightly loaded. Is there a technique I'm missing?

Last edited:

Kent Wien

Headwind it is! It was blowing 15-20 that day. Mark was empty and when I saw him get off before the numbers I thought, “there’s no way my belly-podded chunky Husky is going to get off that fast.” Well, I was wrong, I lifted off in the same spot.

MarkZ

Kent is correct. Nice head wind and light on fuel. Wish I could say it was just great piloting.

Brad20j

Headwind it is! It was blowing 15-20 that day. Mark was empty and when I saw him get off before the numbers I thought, “there’s no way my belly-podded chunky Husky is going to get off that fast.” Well, I was wrong, I lifted off in the same spot.
Thanks Kent. Until now Mark had amazed me as an amazing pilot. But now I know it’s just the wind and his skinny Husky, not Mark’s skills.

rnorty

Didn’t realize that was you guys in the video!

johnaz

No need to raise the tail for shortest takeoff, just full flaps and pull back pressure to levitate.
If you lift the tail you have gone too far. And it does not hit the ground, already there, just takeoff attitude with full flaps.
John