Husky crash in Columbia

David

Yep Columbia, Ca airport. News said that it just missed a Cal Fire Air Tanker on the ground. I do not know who the pilot is. Minor injuries according to all reports.
TUOLUMNE COUNTY, Calif. —

A single-engine plane crashed at an airport in Tuolumne County, nearly hitting another aircraft, officials said.

The Tuolumne County Fire Department said an Aviat Husky A1A nearly crashed into a Cal Fire air tanker at the Columbia Airport.

The Federal Aviation Administration said the crash happened around 1:50 p.m.

The pilot, who was the only one aboard, suffered minor injuries, the FAA said.

It is unclear how the plane crashed.

I was at Columbia Airport last week and the Air Attack Base is on the NE end of the paved runway. The grass runway is usually closed Oct-March/April although when I was there last week it was good to take off and land on.

This new incident happened the day before the above with a Cessna 140:

Tuolumne County Sheriff's Office
**UPDATE: 2/6/20, 11:45 am**

The victims have been identified as 73-year-old Robert Clough and 71-year-old Robert Parriott, both of Sonora. Robert Clough was determined to be the pilot and Robert Parriott the solo passenger inside the aircraft.

The preliminary cause of death is major trauma; however, the final cause is pending autopsy.

The cause of the crash along with the circumstances are being investigated by the NTSB.

jimhusky

It was N462, which is Husky A1A S/N 1446. I did some landing on the sod runway at Columbia yesterday and they had already moved the aircraft to a hangar or off the field. It was based in Lodi, CA.

Rob

He is ok! Friend of a friend! When I asked about what happened I was told that a hard gust lifted one wing and he tried to accelerate back into a climb but just couldn't get back to wings level. He is a very good pilot with lots of experience and a great guy. He got a bump to the head. If I find out more ill post it with his permission. I'd like to find out if that compass was the reason he hit his head. I've dealt with some funky wind at Columbia myself. Although I was in a heavier airplane. Nonetheless it was a wild ride.

David

I am planning on taking a buddy and flying in to Columbia this Friday. I have experienced gusts and wind shear when landing on 17 (paved). This has surprised me too, as there are no cliffs, cross canyons, etc that usually cause gusts and wind shear. I usually do like Jim and land on 29, the grass runway. However, it gets soft and is closed sometimes during the winter. It is fun to walk into the Old town and imagine it when the gold miners were all there. Mandy's Breakfast House is 1/3 of a mile away from the airport (an easy walk) and they have very good, large portions, -relatively cheap food. They are open 0700-1400 hrs.

Greg

He is ok! Friend of a friend! When I asked about what happened I was told that a hard gust lifted one wing and he tried to accelerate back into a climb but just couldn't get back to wings level. He is a very good pilot with lots of experience and a great guy. He got a bump to the head. If I find out more ill post it with his permission. I'd like to find out if that compass was the reason he hit his head. I've dealt with some funky wind at Columbia myself. Although I was in a heavier airplane. Nonetheless it was a wild ride.
Rob,

Let him know were all glad he is okay. Hope he gets back in the air soon.

David

Rob,

Let him know were all glad he is okay. Hope he gets back in the air soon.

I flew into Columbia today. The airport bums saw me fly my Husky in on the grass runway and told me about the Husky crashed on the turf runway and it actually tore the engine mostly off. When I asked them how the guy was, they said he was walking about in the FBO and they said that the Husky pilot flew his Van's RV into Columbia the very next day. They did say he had a bump on his head, but did not know what he hit. They said he had to crawl out of the front window as the fuselage was crumpled enough to jam the door closed and the front window was loose from the impact and that was the best way out.

Greg

I flew into Columbia today. The airport bums saw me fly my Husky in on the grass runway and told me about the Husky crashed on the turf runway and it actually tore the engine mostly off. When I asked them how the guy was, they said he was walking about in the FBO and they said that the Husky pilot flew his Van's RV into Columbia the very next day. They did say he had a bump on his head, but did not know what he hit. They said he had to crawl out of the front window as the fuselage was crumpled enough to jam the door closed and the front window was loose from the impact and that was the best way out.

That's great news he jumped back in the saddle! Bent airplanes can be fixed, bruised hearts are hard to mend.

BlackWater

Here are two pictures I came across. I am not posting them for the spectacle, I am posting them because they show how nasty this impact was and how well the airframe protected the pilot. I purchased my husky as a wreck and I know that the airframe is built very solidly. That is one of the main things I appreciate about the husky, I feel safer in it than most other backcountry airframes.
Screen Shot 04-18-20 at 11.07 AM.jpg Screen Shot 04-18-20 at 11.06 AM.jpg

Ak Kurt

Yep, very strong cage around the occupants. I watched an older A1 crash, I thought for sure there were going to be serious injury’s and possibly fatal based on my experience seeing Super Cub wrecks. As I was running toward the wreckage mentally preparing myself for what I was about to see both guys climbed out without a scratch! I was stunned and overjoyed that they were ok. I have seen some ugly ugly Super Cub wrecks, that leaves an impression on you for sure. I sure like my “Heavier than a Cub” Husky with its structure all around me.

Kurt

tbienz

After seeing stuff like this, I elected to purchase a helmet last summer...I figured I'd really have to force myself to wear it even though it was uncomfortable. I have been very pleasantly surprised...it is not too hot in fall (haven't tried a summer yet), plenty warm when it's -20, and it has outstanding visibility compared to sunglasses. Also, the audio fidelity with Bose noise-cancelling headsets built in is remarkable. IMG_3404.JPG I'm a happy convert.

Ak Kurt

Has anyone tried relocating the compass away from your melon in the event of impact with any success? We tried on Kent’s Husky and got crazy swings in various locations. Where it is now your head will hit it in sudden stop or nose over.

Kurt

tbienz

I tested every type I could find during Airventure last year. Bought an HGU-55 (Gentex) from FlightHelmet.com. When I first got it with the Lightspeed ANR it was too tight and hurt my temples (I wear eyeglasses)...sent it back and they installed Bose ANR elements that are thinner and it’s been perfect.
They sell all kinds. Mine is a lightweight helmet without integrated sliding visors...those look cool and I guess it might be nice to have different colored lenses that slide down plus the glare shield, but the one I got has much less mass up front, is much lighter and still comes with a couple excellent visors, they just slide on the outside and you have to pick the smoke or amber color before leaving the hangar depending on the weather.

K Borror

Appreciate the information, some of our local Bush flyers have been discussing this so just looking for options.