Husky Model for X-Plane Simulator

denningte

Yesterday Shade Tree Micro Aviation released the latest version of their Husky A-1A model for X-Plane (version 9.41). If you are not familiar with X-Plane it is a $29 flight simulation program that drives a lot of FAA-certified simulations in the GA market. Where you go from the basic package is entirely up to you, but it can get very good with careful attention to add-ons and controls.

I reviewed the initial model and started working with the designers to get the aircraft to fly more accurately. In the process I invested about 10 flight hours and 15 simulation hours doing the comparisons. The new model flies very well and STMA did a lot of upgrading of the visuals.

It is fun to fly with a wheel mouse, but a stick, throttle, and rudder set up is really the way to get immersive realism. During this project I did a lot of freeware upgrading to to X-Plane, added a head movement tracker, and pulled in scenery from Google Maps to fly around the Rockies, Zion NP, my farm, my brother's flying club in NC, and my brother in law's farm - all places I fly in the real bird.

The package comes with wheels, BWs, Floats, Skis, and a Bush version with a belly pod. There are 6 or 7 paint schemes to apply so you can get it close to yours and even put your tail number on the panel.

Simulations being what they are and marketing to a young and heavily European category, there are some things in the package that are not quite exactly how the Husky works (like a flap indicator on the panel and switchable VOR/ADF instrument). Still, if you like piddling with flight simulators, you now have a Husky worthy of spending some time with.

For complete disclosure about this project, I make no percentage. I just wanted to have a good model to do development with for part of the research work I do.

The white Husky picture is taken over Google imagery and terrain mesh NE of Bryce Canyon at a place called Aquarius Ridge in the Dixie National Forest. That shows what can be done with X-Plane scenery to make it more realistic. The flight control picture shows a HOTAS stick with a custom modified carriage and Hall Effect sensors to make it very precise and feel like a Husky and/or Helo. The pedals shown are custom made by me to give the feel of a Husky or Helo. I built the rudders and modified the stick a few years back when my son had the hots for helo flight.

With this set up, slips, XW practice, and flying the bubble are all possible in X-Plane. The XW slip picture is set up for a 13 KT direct XW which in the situation is the demonstrated XW of the Husky.

Go here: http://www.shadetreemicro.com/ for more info on the Husky model. OR you can purchase it from the home page of X-Plane - www.X-Plane.org

Attachments

• Bush2.jpg
    Bush2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC03378.jpg
    DSC03378.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 27
  • XW Landing.jpg
    XW Landing.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 29
  • TW and Helo Pedals.jpg
    TW and Helo Pedals.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Amphib.jpg
    Amphib.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

lowlevelops

TD,

Nice work, the project looks great.

I was wondering what brand the rudder pedals are and where you got them? They look like a quality product compared to anything else I have seen on the market.

Thanks for your help

denningte

Trace,

Thanks for noticing the work in both electrons and metal.

The rudder pedals are a "one-off" product of Denning Manufacturing - a part time, no records, design-in-the-head-create-on-the-fly sort of place. I also built the carriage inside the stick to make it respond like a Husky and helo. The OEM carriage has an annoying centerpoint that makes the stick unusable for precise flight. It's OK for play, but for simulation it needed help.

Once I had the vision it was a three day project with a metal bandsaw, MIG welder, and drill press. The stick carriage was a CNC mill job that I knocked out before having a CNC mill - the old fashioned way with many hours of set up for seconds of cuts.

Now I have the technology to make better versions of both. If there is enough demand I may be convinced to make a run of them.

The Hall Effect sensors are pricey - about $100 a piece. The good news is they last forever. I use regular pots in the brakes.

Last night I made an MT prop and realistic bush wheels for the model. The wheels work great but the prop has some animation issues I'll figure out. Not ready for prime time yet.

denningte

Latest aftermarket mods in simulation - AK Bushwheels and MT Prop. These will be in the next release package.

Attachments

• XPLANE AfterMarket Mods.png
    XPLANE AfterMarket Mods.png
    454.6 KB · Views: 14