I'm considering a 200 hp Husky.

Ralghs

I currently have a 180 hp Husky and am considering getting a 200 hp. I was just wondering if there are any concerns I should know about specific to the 200 hp engine. Thanks for any info.

tbienz

Can be harder to start fuel injected engines when hot...but most owners get the hang of that pretty quick. My buddy flies a 200hp A1C and I have a 180hp A1. No question his is faster, especially at this altitude (7300 feet), but mine is definitely lighter (1300#) and takes off/lands shorter. Also, his looks like a very fancy plane inside with nice wood floors and lots of gadgets...mine looks more like the cab of my backhoe: only the gauges you need and nothing you don’t...and plenty of dirt and mud on the floorboards. Like most everything else in aviation, it’s always a compromise, so ask yourself what is your mission for the aircraft.

MTV

I agree with all above. In addition to the point made about the 200 hp airplanes being heavier (and 50 PLUS seems normal), all that weight is forward, as in the engine compartment.

Airplanes fly better and land/takeoff shorter if the CG is somewhere a bit aft. Ideal is close to the aft limit, but far, far forward is not a good characteristic.

On the positive side, since the fuel injected engines have much even fuel distribution, you can pretty aggressively lean them in cruise flight, thus reducing fuel burn.
And, those particular engines have a mass balanced crankshaft, which is one of the reasons they're so much heavier. The balanced crank makes them VERY smooth engines. You can do nearly as well with a 180 and a composite prop, however.

MTV

trapper

Dont forget the safety factor with a 180. Gravity fuel flow and easier to start. What if you are off airport with no help and the battery or fuel pump becomes an issue ? I agree with all the replies and a ported 180 is a lot less weight with great performance

MTV

Dont forget the safety factor with a 180. Gravity fuel flow and easier to start. What if you are off airport with no help and the battery or fuel pump becomes an issue ? I agree with all the replies and a ported 180 is a lot less weight with great performance

Which is why every fuel injected aircraft should be equipped with a manual primer. Starting is easy by hand propping, as long as you can prime the engine.
Barring that, carry a jump pack, and ensure that you have easy access to hook it up to run the fuel pump and starter.
About a year ago, I started a fuel injected plane by hand propping. The owner had given up, with a dead battery.

There is a reason that some fuel injected aircraft are ordered with a manual primer.

MTV

Larson

If your considering the 200hp for floats- be prepared for a very nose heavy husky when solo- it may even require weight in the tail?

big thumbs up for the 180hp

VictorBravo

I am new to the float plane community and jumped in with both feet as a new owner of a Husky A1C-200 amphib. All I can say is that so far my experience has been great. Perhaps I will grow to appreciate all of the negative aspects of this combination, but so far I have no complaints.

As noted by the folks above (whom I will attest have far greater experience than myself), you do need be mindful of the forward cg when solo. At full tanks (52g) I require ~30lbs in the aft stowage (I'm 165lbs). Flying with a passenger takes care of any cg issues, but then becomes a game of trading weight for fuel. Total useful for me is 528lbs. I should note that I have the 2 blade reversible MT prop, not sure of the weight difference, but could look it up.

With regard to the "hot start" concerns, my experience has been that fuel injected engines HATE any introduction of fuel when started hot (including my other plane a Cessna 182t), and I've never had a problem so long as I leave the mixture pulled off during the start.

I thoroughly enjoy the power the 200hp provides, and it has been equally great fun flying in the tailwheel configuration.

Best,
Brian

Reactions: Amy

jliltd

I have the 200hp model and replaced one mag with the SureFly electronic mag. Hot starts weren't a big deal but the SureFly made them easy as pie. I keep a case of oil in the rear baggage compartment (extended baggage) and it really helps with the cg. While I out-climb the 180hp Husky in a formation takeoff situation, I haven't really noticed much difference in the way of cruise. And I live in a high density altitude part of the country and regularly fly at or above 10K density altitudes. In fact, the only reason I would consider a 200hp is if you have high density altitudes. While I love the angle-valve engine there are some other trade offs. The cowl has cowl flaps and there are two oil coolers instead of the 180hp version's single cooler. There is never an oil temp issue. Nor a CHT issue like I hear about on this forum by the 180hp guys. And no need for a "tractor baffle" on a 200hp model. I attribute the CHT behaving better due to the larger cylinder fin areas on the angle-valve and the cowl flaps. The cowl flap and front cowl nose bowl make cowl removal more work on the 200hp. And you have to remove the cowl for an oil change which I understand is not the case for the 180hp model.

The 200hp angle-valve Lycoming has a balance weighted cranshaft so it is very very smooth. Mine is coupled to a MT composite proopeller.

airplanebrad

Do it, I’ve owned 4 180hp models and 1 200hp. The 200 was my favorite. No issue to start it at all. Just know what you’re doing. Make sure it’s got a 2 blade mt at least. And you can put a bit of weight in the tail compartment to make tail stay down a bit better. They’re fun, super smooth With that counterweighted crank too. Plus it’s faster.

johnaz

Do it, I’ve owned 4 180hp models and 1 200hp. The 200 was my favorite. No issue to start it at all. Just know what you’re doing. Make sure it’s got a 2 blade mt at least. And you can put a bit of weight in the tail compartment to make tail stay down a bit better. They’re fun, super smooth With that counterweighted crank too. Plus it’s faster.
How much does yours weigh? Normally they are over 1400lb range and nose heavy.
John

airplanebrad

How much does yours weigh? Normally they are over 1400lb range and nose heavy.
John
Mine was 1384pds on 31” Bushwheels, baby bush wheel Tailwheel. And 1683, on PK amphib floats. Like I said throw a tool bag in the bag compartment if you can’t keep the tail down. I had no trouble. FUN FUN airplane with the 200hp!

johnaz

Mine was 1384pds on 31” Bushwheels, baby bush wheel Tailwheel. And 1683, on PK amphib floats. Like I said throw a tool bag in the bag compartment if you can’t keep the tail down. I had no trouble. FUN FUN airplane with the 200hp!
Hard to believe it was 1384 lbs with 200HP engine. Most new/late model 180 Hp ones out now are at least 1350lbs.
You must have had a very light 200HP Husky. How was it equipped other than the 31's and baby bushwheel?
John

airplanebrad

Hard to believe it was 1384 lbs with 200HP engine. Most new/late model 180 Hp ones out now are at least 1350lbs.
You must have had a very light 200HP Husky. How was it equipped other than the 31's and baby bushwheel?
John

1394 with mt 3 blade
1384 with mt 2 blade

TI firewall and some other things.

I have had two 180’s and currently own two Fuel injected 200’s.
Properly tuned and properly operated both start fine cold or hot. The power and fuel economy of the 200 more than compensate for the extra 25 lbs up front.

Jeb

We love our 200. We aren’t solo only gravel bar jockeys. Sarah is always with me. We fly all over the backcountry always with emergency gear and a lot of the time our whole camp. We out climb the full throttle 180s at our cruise power setting (2150/23) when loaded the same.
Engine wasn’t a criteria when we bought and I wouldn’t make it an issue again.