In the market for a set of floats for Husky A-1B.

Will be full time in Alaska next May. I have a place to store the floats in Soldotna or lower 48

Last edited:

MTV

The absolute best straight floats on a Husky are the Baumann floats. Unfortunately, they're out of production and there weren't that many sets built.

Second place, in my experience, are the small PK floats. I don't know if PK is still making floats these days, especially straight floats.

Third in performance are the Wipaire 2150 floats.

Unfortunately, Aerocet hasn't chosen to get their 2200 floats approved on the Husky. I'm guessing, based on my experience with the bigger Aerocets that those floats would be great on a Husky.

The B model and higher Husky is not approved on the EDO 2000, though the model A-1 and A-1A are. Those too are great floats, but lack reserve bouyancy for the heavier Huskys.

MTV

David

Will be full time in Alaska next May. I have a place to store the floats in Soldotna or lower 48
I have a buddy, Stu Felberg, who just sold his home on the water in Soldotna. He moved to Georgia for the winters and an island on the Hudson in the summer. Supercub on wheels and Cub on Floats, but I don't hold that against him. Did you know him? Quite a guy!
David

I have a buddy, Stu Felberg, who just sold his home on the water in Soldotna. He moved to Georgia for the winters and an island on the Hudson in the summer. Supercub on wheels and Cub on Floats, but I don't hold that against him. Did you know him? Quite a guy!
David
No, but I am real new up in Alaska

Paul, if you go new I would give the PK’s strong consideration.

Kurt
That is what I was thinking. Amphibs I will take the Husky to Maine Straight he would Ship them to Alaska where he says a can get them certified he said that is difficult in the lower 48. Not quite sure the terminology. I am leaning towards straight floats. I will be living on a gravel runway in AK probably. The price was more reasonable with PK. I am not that experience with floats ye . Less then 15 hours none on a Husky. Does PK perform better getting on step?

Ak Kurt

I flew the PK amphib years ago and was impressed. I have flown the wip amphib and they did good also. I realize these are not straight floats but the amphib version of both did good. I think the PK’s do not require the ventral fin or “fillets” on the horizontal stab if my memory is correct. The PK’s are a bit bigger and provide more floatation. I dont think you will have a problem getting on the step with either the wips or PK’s. That all being said, if you can find a set or Baumann’s then buy the Baumann’s, great float. I had a set years ago I bought but never installed, I sold them, wish I still had them. If you go amphib and buy new I would definitely go PK.

You mention getting straight PK’s approved on the Husky, are they not STC approved? Do you need to get them field approved? If so that may change things. If you have to get them field approved And are willing to go thru that process then you may want to consider Aerocets.

Kurt

Last edited:
Field approved yes that is the term he used. He said he has someone in AK that does it. The difference in Amphibs between Wips or PK is 20K. I just got to decide. Been looking for Baumann used floats . No Joy.

stonebr92

PKs are the way to go. And if you're on the fence between amphib and straight (and don't care about the price delta), amphibs are a real luxury--don't have to worry about finding gas or other services on the water, easier to do cross-countries (especially in parts of the west/midwest).

Glider

IMG_3362.JPG

A set of Husky floats in production now at PK. These are the second set of Husky floats PK have built this summer.

Last edited:

Meadowlark

I absolutely loved float flying...... I'm not certain why both of my homes are in the desert.....

J/C GTF & 18AZ

johnaz

What is the price on a set of new PK straight floats? PK amphibs?
I have two sets of Baumann's, one rigged for Cub, one for Husky.

belloypilot

What is the price on a set of new PK straight floats? PK amphibs?
I have two sets of Baumann's, one rigged for Cub, one for Husky.

Last time I priced out a new set of Wipline Amphibs they were about $55K by the time you had all the parts, but without paint or installation. That was a couple years back.

Are your Baumans for sale, or just making us envious? :)