In the market for a set of floats for Husky A-1B.

johnaz

Last time I priced out a new set of Wipline Amphibs they were about $55K by the time you had all the parts, but without paint or installation. That was a couple years back.

Are your Baumans for sale, or just making us envious? :)[/QUOTE
Possibly selling one Husky set, but not right now.

MTV

5k more to deliver to AK

IF (and that's a big word in this context) you can function on straight floats, you'll find them to be better performing, and far less maintenance. In addition, you won't be carrying around all that landing gear, hydraulics, actuators, etc, etc. on the amphibs, which means a much better useful load.

Bear in mind that most Huskys don't get a gross weight increase when they go to floats, so with floats, you take a hit on straight floats, and a BIG hit on amphibs. That may not seem like much, but.....

So, questions to consider in this dillema:
Do you have a place to park the plane on straight floats in summer? Good beach, secure tie downs, somewhat protected, etc?
Do you have a maintenance facility, and/or a trailer to get the plane out of the water in the fall, and launch it in spring?
Will you live close enough to the plane to keep an eye on it during wind storms, etc?
Second, can you get fuel there? Fuel sources on water are pretty limited, even in Alaska. So, if you don't have access to fuel at home base, you can put a tank in your pickup, or maybe a tank on shore at your tiedown. On cross country flights, you may have to rely on fuel cans or bags. Fueling from cans loses it's luster and fun factor REALLY fast.

All that said, straight floats will put a smile on your face. Ampigs have advantages, no doubt. But, they too have drawbacks. For example:

Will you park outdoors? Or is there hangar space available? If so, is the door opening adequate....amphibs are tall.

Fueling an amphib on land requires a ladder. Most self fuel places have ladders. But, I like fueling steps bolted to the vertical struts of the floats anyway.

Take into consideration that wheel bearings in particular, but brakes and other bits on amphibs require fairly regular service and replacement.

PK (I believe that's the latest version of the name that they are now using, as opposed to Pee Kay) has a very nice hydraulic setup for their amphibs. It's mostly in the floats, as opposed to in the fuselage.

Are you going to leave the plane on floats over winter? You can do so with amphibs, though your options for landing are airports. Straight Floats you either leave the plane on the beach, stored till spring, or go through the conversion back and forth spring and fall. That's not a huge deal, but additional $$. Some folks say an owner can do the conversion from wheels to floats once it's been done and signed off by an IA. Some folks say "No way". I did my own for several years, and nobody objected. These were straight floats, however.

Finally, DEFINITELY get an insurance quote for both amphibs and straight floats. You may swallow your gum when you see those quotes for Alaska based A/C. Huskys aren't cheap to insure, Alaska kicks that cost up substantially, Add floats, and it's going up even more......amphibs may cause underwriters to say "No way!", particularly for a low time float pilots.

MTV

IF (and that's a big word in this context) you can function on straight floats, you'll find them to be better performing, and far less maintenance. In addition, you won't be carrying around all that landing gear, hydraulics, actuators, etc, etc. on the amphibs, which means a much better useful load.

Bear in mind that most Huskys don't get a gross weight increase when they go to floats, so with floats, you take a hit on straight floats, and a BIG hit on amphibs. That may not seem like much, but.....

So, questions to consider in this dillema:
Do you have a place to park the plane on straight floats in summer? Good beach, secure tie downs, somewhat protected, etc?
Do you have a maintenance facility, and/or a trailer to get the plane out of the water in the fall, and launch it in spring?
Will you live close enough to the plane to keep an eye on it during wind storms, etc?
Second, can you get fuel there? Fuel sources on water are pretty limited, even in Alaska. So, if you don't have access to fuel at home base, you can put a tank in your pickup, or maybe a tank on shore at your tiedown. On cross country flights, you may have to rely on fuel cans or bags. Fueling from cans loses it's luster and fun factor REALLY fast.

All that said, straight floats will put a smile on your face. Ampigs have advantages, no doubt. But, they too have drawbacks. For example:

Will you park outdoors? Or is there hangar space available? If so, is the door opening adequate....amphibs are tall.

Fueling an amphib on land requires a ladder. Most self fuel places have ladders. But, I like fueling steps bolted to the vertical struts of the floats anyway.

Take into consideration that wheel bearings in particular, but brakes and other bits on amphibs require fairly regular service and replacement.

PK (I believe that's the latest version of the name that they are now using, as opposed to Pee Kay) has a very nice hydraulic setup for their amphibs. It's mostly in the floats, as opposed to in the fuselage.

Are you going to leave the plane on floats over winter? You can do so with amphibs, though your options for landing are airports. Straight Floats you either leave the plane on the beach, stored till spring, or go through the conversion back and forth spring and fall. That's not a huge deal, but additional $$. Some folks say an owner can do the conversion from wheels to floats once it's been done and signed off by an IA. Some folks say "No way". I did my own for several years, and nobody objected. These were straight floats, however.

Finally, DEFINITELY get an insurance quote for both amphibs and straight floats. You may swallow your gum when you see those quotes for Alaska based A/C. Huskys aren't cheap to insure, Alaska kicks that cost up substantially, Add floats, and it's going up even more......amphibs may cause underwriters to say "No way!", particularly for a low time float pilots.

Yea , thanks for the advice. I was just looking for a set of straight floats. All set , thanks for your time. A lot of good thought.

Floyd

I happen to have a set of amphib Baumanns on my experimental cub 2400 lb gross and I am thinking of going down to one plane. I have a A1 Husky with Thomas’s gross weight increase 1980 lbs but like Paul just said I wouldn’t get a weight increase if I put the floats on my Husky. I’d be able to fill my Husky up with gas but no one could fly it. Which is to bad for it would really preform with those floats. Need a much higher gross for the Husky.

Meadowlark

When I flew with the DE for my float rating in Alaska, he had me do a weight and balance. Too much gas aboard the Super Cub for both of us to fly..... I told him that I don't leave gas behind, so he could just stand on the dock and watch me fly.

He came along, we were significantly overweight, the plane flew just fine, I got my float rating.

J/C GTF & 18AZ

johnaz

I happen to have a set of amphib Baumanns on my experimental cub 2400 lb gross and I am thinking of going down to one plane. I have a A1 Husky with Thomas’s gross weight increase 1980 lbs but like Paul just said I wouldn’t get a weight increase if I put the floats on my Husky. I’d be able to fill my Husky up with gas but no one could fly it. Which is to bad for it would really preform with those floats. Need a much higher gross for the Husky.
Are you selling the Baumann amphibs? If so how much? PM me.
Thanks,
John

Floyd

No I’m not selling them, it’s the age old question of what a person wants for the mission. I have a strip on my farm so whatever I have has to leave from there so I am limited. Can’t make my strip longer. Right now I have the best of both worlds but just can’t go real fast.

HuskyonFloats

I ordered a few parts from Wipline a couple of weeks ago. while on the phone with them I asked what a set of 2100’s would be turn key ,installed , painted and everything. I was told $80,000. They figure $10,000. For the paint if it has a lot of colors.
Very pricy

airplanebrad

Last time I priced out a new set of Wipline Amphibs they were about $55K by the time you had all the parts, but without paint or installation. That was a couple years back.

Are your Baumans for sale, or just making us envious? :)
I was quoted 75k from them to paint my 185 on Wiplines. I do believe they are at the “we don’t have to sell” stage with these prices!