Incident at KELP. On it's nose.

jliltd

On Jan 13 this A1C took it on the chin. Looks like a real nice airplane and despite being a bummer I think the owner got off easy since it appears to only trigger an engine TDI and a propeller repair or replacement. I haven't seen the bottom of the nose bowl but it may have not touched. It's parked at El Paso Aero with it's bent prop. If the owner reads this let me know if you need any assistance from a fellow Husky owner in the area.
Jan ELP Development and Consortia 2023 Non SSI.jpg

Reactions: Don

belloypilot

Never land on something as flat as a snooker table. The only things that flat on the planet are water and stuff that's floating on water. Just sayin :)

Last edited:

bumper

Nevada dry lakes are snooker table flat, and usually quite landable, at least in mid to late summer - if in doubt it's wise to land near the edge. A few hapless souls have flipped when the mains break through a thin, dry looking crust to find the sticky mud below that a thunderstorm has left behind. Makes for an ugly retrieve with lots of plywood etc.

Wheels on snow that's deeper than one thought, have also claimed a few. I've never been nailed by snow, but once it's got you and you are you are rapidly decelerating much more than you thought should happen, your only hope to save yourself from a certain upside-down experience is a quick application of full throttle and full back stick . . . hopefully to keep the tail pinned down, maybe.

Kent Wien

I recently landed in a soft plowed field with an inch of snow on top. The full power, full up elevator saved me. Don’t worry, you’ll still slow down to a stop. Couldn’t even taxi.

Snowbirdxx

I recently landed in a soft plowed field with an inch of snow on top. The full power, full up elevator saved me. Don’t worry, you’ll still slow down to a stop. Couldn’t even taxi.
And get those flaps up right away, the make the tail light.

tbienz

An inch of snow should do very little. The soft plowed field (which is now probably a wet, soft plowed field/mud) is likely the problem. Tire size and pressure will also play a role. In light (low water content) snow, with large tires, even up to 8” still works, but you are taking a chance if you aren’t sure of the conditions.

Kent Wien

An inch of snow should do very little. The soft plowed field (which is now probably a wet, soft plowed field/mud) is likely the problem. Tire size and pressure will also play a role. In light (low water content) snow, with large tires, even up to 8” still works, but you are taking a chance if you aren’t sure of the conditions.
I mention the inch of snow only because it was hiding the freshly plowed field. Oh, and it was 39 degrees out. So yeah, very wet. I’m amazed it didn’t go over.