Incorrect breaker G430 with 28V Voltage Converter

Joachim Wieland

My Husky is an A-1B from 2000, it came with a 28V-only G430 from the factory. For the 28V, it also has an AmeriKing AK-550-6 voltage converter which powers the COM part of the G430 with 28V. I find mention of the voltage converter and the G430 in the very first log book entry from the factory which makes me think that my plane is not the only one with this setup.

Later, the previous owner upgraded the G430 to a G430W and that's the configuration that I bought the plane with.

I'm now upgrading to the IFD440. I looked a bit through the installation guides, wondered about the voltage converter and along the way discovered that my COM circuit breaker is 10A but should be only 5A @ 28V.

If you know of a Husky with a similar configuration, I suggest checking this circuit breaker. I'm attaching a screenshot from the Garmin G430 installation manual and a photo of my breaker panel. Also, let me know if I'm missing anything.

Attachments

• COM_Breaker.png
    COM_Breaker.png
    163 KB · Views: 15
  • Breakers.jpg
    Breakers.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 15

jliltd

The circuit breaker is sized for the interconnect wire capacity and not the component. It is designed to keep the wire from smoking and causing a fire or at least any kind of damage. You could either leave the 10A breaker in place or swap it out for a 5A. Personally I would just swap it out for a 5A as it's not a lot of labor and the IFD is an expensive item. If you do swap breakers order the same type to avoid bus bar problems. Could be Tyco/Potter&Brumfield or Klixon. The part nunber matters as both have the option of terminals bent inward or bent outward. If the breaker is in a line of breakers the best way to gain access and perform the work woukd be to remove the bezel retaining nuts on all the adjacent common bar breakers and drop the whole group out of the panel as one assembly. Then do the com breaker swap and then re-insert the whole group together and re-fasten with the bezel nuts.