Insurance for Amphibs

stang43

Hey folks, we’ve been getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on a number Amphib Huskies and have hit a snag. I don’t think we’re going to get covered! My parter is 68 and he’s been talking to friends of his similar age that are all being “shown the door” on insurance coverage lately. And these are not even amphib examples. One has had a bonanza for 20 years with no incidents and they declined to renew him. Any and all advice, or names of underwriters that you can share with me would be helpful. Full disclosure; my parter had a gear down water landing last year…

HuskyVT

Hey folks, we’ve been getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on a number Amphib Huskies and have hit a snag. I don’t think we’re going to get covered! My parter is 68 and he’s been talking to friends of his similar age that are all being “shown the door” on insurance coverage lately. And these are not even amphib examples. One has had a bonanza for 20 years with no incidents and they declined to renew him. Any and all advice, or names of underwriters that you can share with me would be helpful. Full disclosure; my parter had a gear down water landing last year…
We're using air-pros.com and they've done a good job of finding us competitive rates even for a 0 time sea plane pilot going on amphibs.

stang43

Update. We found a Husky suitable for our needs but unfortunately without the aforementioned partner. He came to the stark reality that he won’t be getting insurance for an amphib anytime soon. On a positive note, he will probably parter up with me on my Super Cub on wheels. We managed to get insurance on a Hull value of 240,000 with a $7000 premium. So there is a recent market reference for anyone looking. The new partners are all seaplane guys but no amphib time. They each have to fly 2 hours of duel with 10 landings on water to fly solo. Thanks everyone for the input and advice!

MTV

Do yourself and your passengers a favor, and find some really crusty old amphib pilot/instructor who will beat you up extensively in a REAL amphib checkout.

Then, install a set of convex mirrors (NAPA aircraft parts) out on the wings, so that you can VISUALLY inspect the gear position, then make a VISUAL inspection of the gear position a part of your pre-landing checks.

Your insurance carrier will thank you with better rates, and your passengers will thank you in not having to swim away.....

Mike

stang43

Do yourself and your passengers a favor, and find some really crusty old amphib pilot/instructor who will beat you up extensively in a REAL amphib checkout.

Then, install a set of convex mirrors (NAPA aircraft parts) out on the wings, so that you can VISUALLY inspect the gear position, then make a VISUAL inspection of the gear position a part of your pre-landing checks.

Your insurance carrier will thank you with better rates, and your passengers will thank you in not having to swim away.....

Mike
That’s funny you say that Mike. My partner who picked the Husky up in Canada got a check out with a “crusty ol’ bush instructor”. He said he never learned so much in such a short time. Good advice on the mirrors. We’re looking at that now. Also trying figure out why the little man and lady living in the gear warning system aren’t talking to us. Something must be disconnected.

MTV

The "gear warning systems" are to make insurance companies happy. Mirrors require that you actually take some action, ie: LOOK out the window at the mirror, and squint a bit to visualize all four gear positions, before continuing the approach. They also "suggest" that you THINK about gear position.

The problem with "Bitching Ken" type annunciators is it's just too easy to quickly silence them. Or totally ignore them. You Tube has some great examples of that, with a gear warning literally screaming at a pilot, who's having a conversation with right seater.....crunch.

Mike

Tommy2

Had a student flying a Arrow on app. , gear horn going off. I asked him what that horn was , he responded “gear horn” , and continued on the approach.

Flying Dave

I know a guy personally who landed his own bonanza gear up while giving a flight review to his son. They both heard the horn…

Flying Dave

I have a comment. Why that has to be the first hybrid Hartzell/MT metal composite propeller that I have ever seen Q-tipped.......

stang43

The "gear warning systems" are to make insurance companies happy. Mirrors require that you actually take some action, ie: LOOK out the window at the mirror, and squint a bit to visualize all four gear positions, before continuing the approach. They also "suggest" that you THINK about gear position.

The problem with "Bitching Ken" type annunciators is it's just too easy to quickly silence them. Or totally ignore them. You Tube has some great examples of that, with a gear warning literally screaming at a pilot, who's having a conversation with right seater.....crunch.

Mike
Hi Mike, so I went to look at the auto parts store to look at the mirrors but can’t quite imagine where I would mount it. Where did you mount yours? And more importantly, how?

Flying Dave

I want to say I’ve seen them mounted on a bent piece of aluminum which was mounted to a inspection plate or a strap on the strut.

stang43

Aw Bill thats genius and obvious all at the same time! I was already trying to constuct some sort of angle bracket to mount a convex mirror on, on the outboard wing somewhere. This is much simpler thank you.

Larson

The gear warning system needs to be wired to your headset jacks- check to see if they have wired up on install- it’s possible that it was the ‘too hard’ basket and failed to wire in on Amphib install?

Let us know what you find?

stang43

The gear warning system needs to be wired to your headset jacks- check to see if they have wired up on install- it’s possible that it was the ‘too hard’ basket and failed to wire in on Amphib install?

Let us know what you find?
Hi Lars,
I found out that there was indeed no warning system installed. I have since ordred one and plan on installing it. Also plan on putting the convex mirrors on the floats for a visual inspection.

Larson

Ah, that makes sense.

If the floats are Wipline 2100A’s you just need to wire into you landing gear controller box (round 3 1/8 or square). The wiring diagram will show where. I went hot direct to the headphone jacks, so would get over rides by radio or intercom. You can also adjust the ‘triggering’ airspeed when the warning resets.

If it’s a different manufacturer, I have limited experience, so others will have to help you.

The mirrors are great!

When I do my ‘downwind’ checks and say gear- I state land or water landing, green or blue lights, and confirming gear position and count the gear positions individually (looking at each of them as I count them 1,2,3,4). I also do the ‘downwind‘ check more than once (base, final). Keep in mind you don’t always do a nice three leg circuit!
I also never cancel the aural warning without first confirming the gear position and counting the gear (1,2,3,4)

Hope that helps… enjoy the boating!