Introducing myself

Red

I recently bought my first plane, a Husky of course. Top 3 areas of focus have been landings, landings and landings.

Am new to FlyHusky as well. Been catching up on various discussions, looking forward to interacting with the group on all things Husky

David

Welcome to the group. I actually read every single one of the posts from the beginning to now. I learned sooooo much about Huskys, flying, and doing major improvements to my Husky. Everybody on the forum is very kind and gracious, even to a knucklehead like me.
David

trapper

My advice is to get instruction if not comfortable flying it. My old Husky just got wadded up by an inexperienced new owner

Ak Kurt

Red, if you need a good check out we can get that arranged for you. There are some awesome Husky instructors close by.

Kurt

Flying Dave

My advice is to get instruction if not comfortable flying it. My old Husky just got wadded up by an inexperienced new owner

Man I hate to hear that. Hope the owner was ok. Not sure why this thing seems to have what appears to be a higher than average "wadded up" rate compared to other aircraft. It doesn't seem to be any harder to fly than anything else out there that's comparable. Maybe that is not true and it just appears that way. I think out of approx 800 aircraft built I counted something like 120 accidents on the accident database website.

David

The early A1s had a brake/rudder linkage problem. When you used the rudder petals to approx. 75% deflection, they would lock that brake. Quick way to shoot off of the runway or loose total control. I modified my linkage (actually the hanger fairy did it) and no more problems. The later models have a different part in the linkage. No Service Bulletin from Aviat or Christen on this problem. Most folks either figured it out or wrecked the plane. I bought my Husky from a very good tailwheel instructor (Citabrias and Stearmans) and he was getting rid of it because "the brakes were too touchy". He blamed it on the double puck brakes. I finally figured it out while doing sharp turns when taxiing. Brought it back to my A&P I/A buddy and we figured it out together. We have checked a bunch of early A1s at airshows, fly-ins, etc. and all the remaining early ones have the faulty linkage or it has been replaced. I have called (out of curiosity) on several A1s for sale and almost all of the owners claim the brakes are "too touchy". Once the binding on the linkage was corrected----no more "touchy brakes" and I can use the rudder petals to full deflection without engaging the brakes.
David

David

Actually I am not sure when the actual change took place. I know that the A1As that I have looked at have the new design. Maybe the early A1As had the faulty part I do not know. I am not even sure if they corrected it by the end of the A1s. I know that I was not the only A1 that had the design flaw. Of course, zero problem in the air. If you land straight every time and you are not hammered by a cross wind or you are not a new tailwheel pilot seesawing the rudder, or you never need full deflection, you don't really have a problem; until you do. Glad I found out before I became another "pilot error" accident.

When I talked with the factory years ago, they blamed Christen (mine is a Christen Husky). They also claimed the problem was solved by the time they took over and they had no idea how many Huskys still have the flawed design part, although they were quick to point out that they do not admit it was a design flaw; they just updated the part as a continual improvement of the airplane. I do not know if this is true or if they are just covering their liability.

I know that if the brake locks and you try to correct by full opposite rudder, then that brake locks, and if you do it quickly enough---prop strike!!!! That has happened to at least one person I know who owned one of these early A1s. Makes sense to me as I came close to doing that before I got it figured out and corrected.
David

Snowbirdxx

The rudder linkage on early A1 Huskys was only rigged different. The brake pedals were inclined way more backwards than necessary. By adjusting ( longer ) the connecting steel rod to make the padals flatter, that problem was solved. With the pedals pointing backwards a lot, rudder was hard to apply without touching the brakes. And if the shoe size was above 9.5 every rudder movement resulted in braking. Desired or not, there was no option.
As said before , adjusting the pedals flatter solves the problem but not to full satisfaction.

When raising the foot while braking, the rudder pedal may fold and come backwards with the whichbrake pedals pushed. Which results in no rudder deflection.
One of the most important items on the Husky checkout is the seating position and foot on pedal position. I see very few instructors showing this, which results often in scratches of all size in the paint or prop.

Wrong adjusted pedals and large footsize lead to small desasters easy in fractions of a second. Adjust the pedals right, simulate the pedal fold on the ground and get heelpans for a better foot to pedal position.

The pedal "fold" can be simulated by just pushing a brake pedal forward, without having the foot on the rudder pedal.
There are a two more points on the rudder system which are totally neglected by the product improvement of the factory.
Wrong arm / tailwheel arm geometry
Rudder arm not aligned with rudder cable.

Flying the Husky is so easy. But it takes nothing to wreck it, if some type specific issues are not addressed.

David

The rudder linkage on early A1 Huskys was only rigged different. The brake pedals were inclined way more backwards than necessary. By adjusting ( longer ) the connecting steel rod to make the padals flatter, that problem was solved. With the pedals pointing backwards a lot, rudder was hard to apply without touching the brakes. And if the shoe size was above 9.5 every rudder movement resulted in braking. Desired or not, there was no option.
As said before , adjusting the pedals flatter solves the problem but not to full satisfaction.

When raising the foot while braking, the rudder pedal may fold and come backwards with the whichbrake pedals pushed. Which results in no rudder deflection.
One of the most important items on the Husky checkout is the seating position and foot on pedal position. I see very few instructors showing this, which results often in scratches of all size in the paint or prop.

Wrong adjusted pedals and large footsize lead to small desasters easy in fractions of a second. Adjust the pedals right, simulate the pedal fold on the ground and get heelpans for a better foot to pedal position.

The pedal "fold" can be simulated by just pushing a brake pedal forward, without having the foot on the rudder pedal.
There are a two more points on the rudder system which are totally neglected by the product improvement of the factory.
Wrong arm / tailwheel arm geometry
Rudder arm not aligned with rudder cable.

Flying the Husky is so easy. But it takes nothing to wreck it, if some type specific issues are not addressed.

Thomas,

I agree with you on the above, but, the linkage I have on my Husky #1017, is different from the later models and the brakes would be applied by only applying the rudder (even just using a hand or a stick on the rudder pedal and never, ever, coming close to the brake lever). I will try and take a photo of mine (modified) in the next couple of days and get it to the forum. I will need some help on this, as I have never been able to figure out how to post a photo (dumber than a brick when it comes to making the computer work)
David

FW Dave

Im slowing putting videos up on the husky too, hopefully will have some good overall ownership stuff over time. you can watch me takeoff and land as I learn the plane. There will be some basic formation, and maintenance things.. we are working on a few things now. I dont have alot of Husky time.. background is F-16, but learned to fly in a Decathalon..owned Sedan before.. that thing cut my teeth.... there is about a dozen quick vids up now.. enjoy..

Youtube: http://bit.ly/GooseF16_

Last edited:

airplanebrad

Welcome Red! Im glad to see my husky in great hands! I miss it. It is a great bird. And this best one to be bought for the money as its nicer than a new one. David above mentioned brake linkage. This is not the case on 339 its not a A1 its an A1B. It does have the heavy rudder return springs removed. Which is the first thing any husky owner should do to any of them. It also has Thomas' SGS on the gear as well as the heavy duty 2200pd gross weight gear legs. I have many hours in it, Id be very excited to fly with you in it and polish you up on it. I currently have a 200hp husky on amphibs and a like new A-1C-180. So hope to see you at fly ins or lets get some planned in the future. I took 339 to root ranch 6 or so years ago, Its been to many of the Idaho back country strips. Its been to Oshkosh many times as well!