Introducing myself

jkalus

The early A1s had a brake/rudder linkage problem. When you used the rudder petals to approx. 75% deflection, they would lock that brake. Quick way to shoot off of the runway or loose total control. I modified my linkage (actually the hanger fairy did it) and no more problems. The later models have a different part in the linkage. No Service Bulletin from Aviat or Christen on this problem. Most folks either figured it out or wrecked the plane. I bought my Husky from a very good tailwheel instructor (Citabrias and Stearmans) and he was getting rid of it because "the brakes were too touchy". He blamed it on the double puck brakes. I finally figured it out while doing sharp turns when taxiing. Brought it back to my A&P I/A buddy and we figured it out together. We have checked a bunch of early A1s at airshows, fly-ins, etc. and all the remaining early ones have the faulty linkage or it has been replaced. I have called (out of curiosity) on several A1s for sale and almost all of the owners claim the brakes are "too touchy". Once the binding on the linkage was corrected----no more "touchy brakes" and I can use the rudder petals to full deflection without engaging the brakes.
David
David,

I’ve had #7 for 22 years and have not had any issues with the brake sensitivity or linkage, though I did adjust the brake pedal angle when I bought it. What more specifically was the issue with yours?

David

Take a look at the photos and comments on Dec 22nd 2019 in the following forum thread: Rudder Pedals setup