LIDAR Altimeter

Snowbirdxx

The LIDAR altimeter is build and works.
Weight 130 g thats 1/4 lb the box is about double the size of a cigarette box, but could be made smaller.

I have the Husky parked on a lift, so another plane can be hangared below it. That lift is ideal for testing and setting the sensor offset.

The LIDAR Sensor ( Benewake Mini TF Plus ) starts working at 60 ft and counts down to 0. Measurement is taken 20 times per seconds
Accuracy measured on the lift is 1" It is placed on the bulkhead of the bungeecompartment. The Geardoor is cut out to allow the sensor to look down.

The displayis on top of the dash between the leather lip and the top panel and displays wheel bottom distance in cm above ground. In addition there is an audio card connected to the Arduino computer which calls out the altitude. That signal goes into the AUX in plug.

Switching the LIDAR Alt on, on final , the display shows dashes. When approaching 60 ft the call is 20 meters)
The calls are continuos scrolling down. When approaching 6 ft the calls are in cm. It is easy to fly above the runway with a 10 call, wheels are then 3.5 inch off the ground. Calls and voice can be configured individually.

Offset when using differen tires can be done easy.

The guy who did the programming is offering the program for free. Building instructions can be supplied.

More testing today on grass.

When touching the concrete the display blanks and no more calls. When on the ground sound of clapping hands from passengers could be created or a nice female voice saying " You just touched...."

The pic shows the box with the Arduino computer and the sound card. Second pic is the LIDAR Sensor

Attachments

• Elektronik.jpg
    Elektronik.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 151
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

Proteus

Outstanding work Thomas, this sounds really interesting an a fun "lockdown" project. I'd be interested in playing around and building one. Could you let me know what bits are needed?

Last edited:

tbienz

Does the unit in the belly use ship’s power and then a wired connection to the glareshield top unit with another to the intercom?

Proteus

If I was to hazard a guess it will take a connection to the arduino board, with voltage and signal. The arduino will be powered from a usb / ship's power. Then pop a 3.5mm audio connector into the aux in.

Snowbirdxx

Does the unit in the belly use ship’s power and then a wired connection to the glareshield top unit with another to the intercom?
Thomas, the altimeter consists of 3 units, all wired together and the main processor is hooked up to a USB outlet
LIDAR sensor
Arduino unit with audiocard
Display

I ll post more info as soon as more flying is done and pics are available. Lost the cellphone in Italy, but it was found . Getting it next week.

Snowbirdxx

First of all I want to pioint out or leave the impression that I am not the designer of this altimeter.
Claus who designed it, has a nice website and details can be viewed there. He also has all the neccesarry files there ready for download.

Heres the initial post with the libraries for Arduino: https://www.biermaker.de/blog/index.php?landesensor

The results with the Mini TF Sensor were much better that with LIDAR Light

Here is the update.

https://www.biermaker.de/blog/index.php?landesensor-update

Will do more Husky tests this week, needed to get louder announciations. With the ANR switched on I could not hear the callouts.

Snowbirdxx

Did some flightests today. Nice countdown during the roundout on concrete. On grass the sensor measures the grass, not the soil. If roundout is flown by the callouts, the wheels are 2 " above the ground. The accuracy is awesome.

dogday

At first glance I did not see the utility /need for this until I thought about the safety aspect of use with glassy water landings or ski landing in whiteout / flat light conditions.

Snowbirdxx

For regular landings totally unnecessary. But snow with flat light and steep slopes are the conditions where it might be useful.

But it makes the pilot look important when he hears the callouts.

Snowbirdxx

The altimeter got tested in various conditions like steep slopes and high grass. I need to change callout software to more brief calls for steep slope runways.. Except that its a very nice gadget.

Larson

Great ideas Thomas and Claus.

Does this have or can it be configured with an excessive rate of closure warning?
This could be a great aid for high gradient slopes or rate of decent of aircraft.

I would be interested in hearing if you do any water testing?

Baldeagle1

After some test flights I finished the ground proximity warning system - it is awesome, how accurate the system works. It will be hooked up only to the intercom for callouts, driven by 3 AAA batteries. Display is mounted above the Airspeed indicator on the glareshield, the unit is velcro taped on the right side of the radio stack, so easy to activate on long final.
Many thanks to Claus and Thomas assisting me in building the unit. 20201006_094452.jpg 20201006_094511.jpg