Looking at floating my Husky

Tommy2

hi Guys, I'm very new to Husky's just finishing up rebuilding a A1-A. I'm finding very little on Husky on floats, i.e. Best floats in a reasonable price range, rigging, where to source parts etc.
Would EDO 2000's be a reasonable float on the A-1-A for personal use? My flying is strictly for fun so going into a high dollar set-up worth as much as the plane wouldn't make any sense for me. Thank you ,Tom

Floyd

I have a set of Baumann amphib floats on a Experimental super cub. The floats are almost identical to a set of Wiplines so if you are able to find a set of them I’d grab them. There are two large storage compartments that will fit a 6 US gal fuel jug thru the opening with extra room for more stuff. If you plan on fishing off your floats then these have a nice surface for walking on without worrying about falling off. The parts for the gear can be purchased. I bought all the seals for the oleo’s for $20 just to have. Haven’t changed anything yet. There is a gear advisory in the cockpit that talks to you and needs to be acknowledged. My floats are 2150A. But if all you need are straight floats then for sure I’d recommend Baumanns after all it’s just aluminum so can be repaired. Hope this helped

johnaz

I think the Baumann's are the best choice if you can find a set. Far better than Edo 2000's. Nice flat decks, big lockers and float the tails up far better than Edo's. Load up EDO's and the tails go under, and round tops hard to walk on. And are the lightest weight ones out there I believe.
John

Larson

I have the Wip 2100A’s and Edo 2000’s.
2100A’s are the most versatile with the option of runway use. Work well, very happy with them. Easiest to operate daily.
2000’s are great performer- very light and cheap to buy! These leap off the water! A Husky performs better light- all day everyday!

2100A’s have flat top deck, easier to walk/swim on/from, big storage areas.
2000’s round tops get slippery and mine do not have storage compartments.

2100’s easy to get every part for, similar to 2000’s.

It probably all depends how/where you operate the floats from and your budget.

Hope this helps.
Lars.

Tommy2

Thank you for the replies, I think I'll go for,the EDO's. Can the rigging be made or is it a aviat deal only?

Larson

I guess it could be made, but Kenmore has them ‘on the shelf’ to buy... you will also need the seaplane kit from Aviat too (ventral fin, lifting rings, etc)

I think I have a spare kit ...

johnaz

Think you eliminate the ventral fin, which is in the way when tailing in to shore with Baumanns.
They are a much better float than EDO, flat tops, big lockers. EDO tails go under when loaded up, and to me are too long for the Husky short takeoff rotation angle, tails drag a bit as EDO's are longer.
John

MTV

I've flown Huskys pretty extensively on EDO 2000s, Wipline 2100s and Baumann 2150s. It's a bit unfair to compare, because the EDO floats are only approved on the early (A-1 and A-1A) airplanes, due to certificated weight issues.....the later airplanes have an approved gross weight that exceeds the reserve buoyancy requirements.

That said, the best performing floats on any Husky in my experience are the EDO 2000s. Kept to reasonable (read legal) weights, these airplanes will simply not get onto the step before they launch. Down sides to the EDOs is that they are round top floats, and lockers if installed, are fairly small, or rather the hatches are small. Round tops never bothered me much. As to dragging the heels, that's a pilot thing. The airplane happily launches without dragging the heels, if you simply relax back pressure at the appropriate time and allow the plane to fly.

Baumann floats are great floats, with huge lockers, but they are no longer in production, and Basler, who owns the company, refuses to provide parts, drawings or anything else to support the floats. So, they are orphans. Not sure you would be able to acquire the requisite STC, even if you could find a set rigged for the Husky. Truly unfortunate, because these are great floats, particularly for the heavier late model Huskys.

The Wips are great floats as well. The only problem there is the costs of these floats. Which brings me to the other good thing about EDO 2000s: Good sets can be had for around $10,000 these days. Though Husky rigging is going to cost a substantial amount. You can likely sell the rigging that comes with the floats for at least some money, though.

Good luck, you'll love those floats.

MTV

belloypilot

I know nothing about floats on a Husky, but I'm a bit surprised the PKs haven't come up in this discussion. Anyone have them or have an informed opinion?

BlackWater

I have PKs and they are very nice quality, strong and bulletproof landing gear system.
Also, because they were made specifically (and only ) to be used on a Husky, the CG envelope is perfect for many loading configurations.
And do not require any ventral fin system.
As I got them damaged, I have worked with the factory a lot. The factory is great.

BlackWater

My situation was unique as they were quite damaged and I put a lot of parts and labor into them.
It seems used floats come up for sale at a wide range of prices depending on many variables.

MTV

I didn’t mention PK floats because they are only amphibs, as far as I know. And they’ve only built a few.

I’ve flown one set on a B model, and they performed very well. If amphibs are what you need and you can find a set, you’ll be happy

Tommy2

Thank you for the replies, mine is a 1998 A1-A and I'm thinking the EDO 2000's fit the budget and on Mike's recommendation I'm happy with the idea of EDO's. Could be a while before I'm done and flying , hoping for next summer, thanks again.

Tommy2

Had a new thought ,maybe I'll see if I can trade my StarDuster II for a set of good amphibious floats that are set up for the Husky. Got to think hard about that, love my Duster.

MTV

FYI, I have flown three Huskys on the Baumann 2100 straight floats. I've also flown one Super Cub on them. If you are interested and are able to use straight floats, you won't find any floats out there that will out perform these. They are kind of short, somewhat pudgy floats in appearance, but they are fast through the air, and have tons of floatation. As Kurt noted, the float lockers are huge, and there are no weight limits on them in the TC.

And, in my opinion, this is a very fair price for some very rare floats. The addition of the PA 18 struts make them even more attractive.

MTV

johnaz

FYI, I have flown three Huskys on the Baumann 2100 straight floats. I've also flown one Super Cub on them. If you are interested and are able to use straight floats, you won't find any floats out there that will out perform these. They are kind of short, somewhat pudgy floats in appearance, but they are fast through the air, and have tons of floatation. As Kurt noted, the float lockers are huge, and there are no weight limits on them in the TC.

And, in my opinion, this is a very fair price for some very rare floats. The addition of the PA 18 struts make them even more attractive.

MTV
I have Baumanns on my supercub, bought them new back in the day when Baumann first came out with them. They are far better than Edo 2000's. Tails do not go underwater when loaded like Edo's do. Lightweight too. The nice flat decks and big lockers are great. Like minature Edo 3430's.
I just bought a damaged set of Baumann's for my Husky in Alaska. Will repair them this summer/winter and have them ready to go next spring. Have to strip them as they are white, I only think floats should be silver, the matte finish lacquer. And no ugly ventral fin required.
Good price on the floats for sale.
John

Zibby

I have Baumanns on my supercub, bought them new back in the day when Baumann first came out with them. They are far better than Edo 2000's. Tails do not go underwater when loaded like Edo's do. Lightweight too. The nice flat decks and big lockers are great. Like minature Edo 3430's.
I just bought a damaged set of Baumann's for my Husky in Alaska. Will repair them this summer/winter and have them ready to go next spring. Have to strip them as they are white, I only think floats should be silver, the matte finish lacquer. And no ugly ventral fin required.
Good price on the floats for sale.
John

Still have the Bauman floats for a Husky got sale??