Metal Hartzell vs MT Ultra Faceoff

Oryx

Nice comparison.
In reference to your cruise power setting (24”/2450): I think most people on this site have determined that the long composite props really shines at a lower RPM (over square settings). Which seems to produce a huge value of fuel burn to speed, in comparison to the shorter Hartzell.

Proteus

Nice to see your thoughts. I'd also be interested in how it does at maybe 1900 / 2100 and 23 or 24 which seems to be a good region for these props.

Do you notice it comes down quicker for a steep short approach?

I'll try some different RPM settings and see if that changes things. As for going flat and increasing descent rates... I haven't seen that. Maybe I need more time with the setup.

Scott

johnaz

I do not find much speed difference with Ultra from 2100 rpm range at 24" to 2400/24", major fuel burn difference.
John

Gust Kalatzes

The Trailblazer is similar, not much difference in speed (maybe a kt or 2) between 2130 - 2330 and 0.3 gph more at the higher rpm. 18.5” to 21.5 MP or what I can get at high elevation pulled back from full throttle. The 30’s are a vibration feel I perceive is better.

TheFlyingMouse

Hi Scott,

Great video comparison. Can you give the approximate DA and gross weights for your climb tests? Were they all done holding 80 mph indicated?

I’m trying to validate my own expectations for our MTV-15-B as I get ready to chase down a perceived climb performance issue.