New dawg in town

Snowbirdxx

Pretty , but
View attachment 5355

Good morning from Afton! It took a little wrangling of schedules and dealing with some uncooperative Wx but there's a new Husky coming to KEIK. Meet our new A-1-C 180, Nikita!

View attachment 5352

View attachment 5353

View attachment 5354

We did the acceptance flight yesterday and she flies wonderfully! Once the fog burns off today, it'll be back into transition training to keep the insurance company (and my wife) happy before bringing her home!

She's sitting on 29" ABWs and is IFR ready with a G500 Txi, GTN-750 and G5.
Pretty plane, but the exhaust needs a fairing to cover that ugly gap

keikflyer

Nice Keikflyer! I'm in Colorado too. Let me know if you find any leads at Boulder! Been on a waiting list for years on the county hangers. I'm at Platte Valley now, but its a long drive. There are a bunch of new hangers at Rocky Mountain, but very expensive monthly rent. I'm on the waiting list there too.

Here is my red/white Husky behind your beautiful new Husky? :)

I would recommend a lot of transition training especially on paved runways here in CO given how many loop repairs I have seen come into Afton while they are working on mine!

They are just finishing up getting the ole vacuum system working after annual replacing an attitude indicator. Not sure what is wrong with it, but believe the new ones are priority to work on. - Dave

View attachment 5376

View attachment 5378
Pretty bird! I did 10 hours of transition training with Bobby and he had quite a few tips to keep her square to the runway. So much more predictable than the Citabria I learned TW in.

keikflyer

Pretty , but

Pretty plane, but the exhaust needs a fairing to cover that ugly gap
Agreed. There's a couple things on the list to make it 'mine'; first of which is to go to Walmart get a couple of retractable baby shades for the skylight. It got downright toasty on the ride home even with the heat off! Had a raucous 25-30kt tailwind that gave me 157kt GS at a couple of points.

Went from KAFO to KEIK while staying out of the mountains on less than a half tank. My basic rule is to abstain from using the passes when its over 15kts. Reducing that to 10 while I build time in the Husky and explore the envelope.

JACK

Be careful with the Walmart shades if they have suction cups. I put one in our skylight and each spot where the suction cups attached the skylight crazed. I think it must have had something to do with the heat from the sun. i took the suction cups off and no more crazing.

Gust Kalatzes

The Motor Trend or similar “Pop up” sun shades works great. I believe 25” x 28” I believe? No suction cups!

Basically they have a wire around the perimeter that twists and rolls up. I just leave both up in the sky light and pull one down or forward to block the sun out the windscreen if needed…works great.

$10 dollars for both when I purchased them.

Attachments

• 02A00281-F770-4264-AE32-D7FCCE2ECB6D.jpg
    02A00281-F770-4264-AE32-D7FCCE2ECB6D.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Jeb

DavePA11

Pretty bird! I did 10 hours of transition training with Bobby and he had quite a few tips to keep her square to the runway. So much more predictable than the Citabria I learned TW in.
What size tires do you have Keikflyer? I flew Cub’s before the Husky and found the Cubs that I owned were much easier to land on pavement, but assume it’s due to being lighter and slower on landing. However, rarely ever landed on pavement back east. Here in CO airports don’t allow landing on the unpaved surfaces…

keikflyer

What size tires do you have Keikflyer? I flew Cub’s before the Husky and found the Cubs that I owned were much easier to land on pavement, but assume it’s due to being lighter and slower on landing. However, rarely ever landed on pavement back east. Here in CO airports don’t allow landing on the unpaved surfaces…
I'm riding on 29s. Boulder allows landings on the grass, Platte Valley, Calhan and Evans have grass runways.

DavePA11

I'm riding on 29s. Boulder allows landings on the grass, Platte Valley, Calhan and Evans have grass runways
I've never been to Calhan or Evans so will check those out. Yes, I shouldn't have implied all airports don't have grass around Denver, but much fewer allow it. Boulder does and so does Platte Valley where I have a hanger now. Thanks!