New Instructor for mountain ops

trapper

Things always changed when it is gusty. Some have a a hard time saying " your airplane". They are not all like the Wien brothers I!!!!!! Yeager used to have my buddy take several of his military friends up up to get a little humility.

Juan Browne

1655059548173.jpeg
At least I stalled mine "in the zone"...note my inapropriate aileron input and feeble rudder input..."missed it by that much" M. Smart
First 50 hours of Husky Ownership.
7000' elevation, solo with heavy fuel load, light winds.

Thanks for Posting Snowbird!

Jb.

trapper

Bart Riebe flight instruction saved me more than once in similar situations !!!!! You are not alone Juan. I put 4QR through hell but thankfully never hurt it

Snowbirdxx

Juan,

deflecting the aileron would not help, neither the rudder. You have a long runway to land on , more than 600 ft and you have a go around option, which mountain strips do not have. So when coming in at full flaps and not too heavy as you stated, you are in a shallow descend and have some power on. You are descending trimmed towards your aiming point and you are flying somewhere between the left ad right side of the power curve. Your trajectory is towards the aiming point and you control the trajectory with power. Now if you are close ( 30ft ) from the aiming point or from touchdown and higher than 10 ft you should never reduce power to idle. Reducing power without changing attitude will result in a much higher AOA and a stall. Reduce power only when you are bringing the nose up on the roundout and not higher than 3 ft. Best is a partial power reduction during roundout and as soon as the gear is on the ground, chop the power to idle.

YOu can try this at altitude. Prop forward, 3/4 inch power and trimmed to 55 mph. If you chop power and let the stick free, the nose will drop and you will descend faser, but maintain 55mph. If you hold the stick and your attitude you will stall within 2-3 seconds. The more you will bring the nose up, the faster the stall.

Fly safe TomD