New Spades

Snowbirdxx

I just finished testflying the new spades on yy old wing Husky

In flight regardledss of AOA the airflow stays attached over the new spades while on the factory ones airflow disattached at AOA of more than 3°
Because of that the new spades have less drag.

Aileron forces are like with the new wing, light and return nice to neutral. The feeling of the roll rate has improved much, since the sickforces are reduced a lot.

In gusts the ailerons can be operated much faster at less force.

The new spades are a simple bolt on replacement to the old ones, they are made out of fiberglass. They are build in negative molds which results in a very good surface quality.

Here you can see how the parts look alike:

http://picasaweb.google.de/ThomasPDietrich/Spades#

Only approved on 337, no STC

TomD

Snowbirdxx

Hank,

it will not help. Only ourSTCs are recognised by the FAA and only if they go through a pecial procedure.

TomD

jlemmel

Thomas
Do you plan on selling these, if so, how much, and when.

They look very well done and I like the idea of lighter aileron forces. My Husky (96 A1 model) is much heavier in the air than my Skybolt was. I got spoiled with the Skybolt.

Best Regards
John Lemmel

groshel

So here is my dilemma.

Thomas produces some of the neatest and most effective mods, no doubt. I run with the SGS and plan on putting my heel pans in when it gets warmer.

I'd absolutely love to lighten up my aileron forces on my old wing A-1B but without an EASA or FAA STC in hand I don't see how I can legally install them. We're talking about modifying primary flight controls now. Read "Major Alteration"....

For you guys out in the boonies that run off you own strip and never see the feds, maybe just sticking them and going flying is fine but back east this method can be a bit iffy.

I've never had a ramp check on a light plane of mine and never had one fail on the larger aircraft I've managed but I'm not willing to risk my reputation and livelihood with installing something with no approval (not that the Feds would recognized Thomas' spades). I also will probably start doing some glider towing next year so the exposure and scrutiny may be higher.

My local FSDOs (Dulles and Harrisburg) have emphasized that they aren't fond of doing field approvals anymore (low priority and high risk for the inspector) and also suggested that using a previously approved 337 as basis for a Field Approval doesn't carry much weight as acceptable data.

So, my question to our posters out there with IA / A&P / Certification or Manufacturing experience - What do you feel will be the best way to get these legally on our aircraft?

Anyone out there feel they have a "flexible" FSDO that might have the time do sign off a field approval with this mod.

A simple, standardized way to get these approved would certainly allow Thomas to get more of these into the fleet.

Thanks for your feedback.....

bumper

With our current bureaucratically constipated climate, not likely happening without a lengthy, full-on flight test regimen with associated through the roof costs.

Guess one could always use, "Oops, how'd them'uns get on there? - - an here I wuz a-tryin' to figure what these here square sheet metal spare parts is for . . . hold on a sec' an' I'll jes' swap 'em right out while ya'll watch.":rolleyes:

1redhusky

Thomas will have to jump in here.

But the spades were ultimately part of his stc for the skis.

Lots got included in the ski stc. The spades, aka plates, the tailwheel spring, the removal of certain rudder return springs were all allowed under this stc.

If more info is helpful feel free to call me to discuss. I have some experience with these mods.

Bill
970-988-0080

Snowbirdxx

Bil is absolutly correct. Plated, ( Spades ), SGS etc are part of the FAA approved Ski STC which spells out that all parts added under this STC are also approved if the Skis are not installed.

This is the same procedure like Aviat is delivering Huskys with Ski gear but without skis. Nobody is questioning that, because it simply makes no sense, and the Aviat manuals do not even spell that configuration out.

n125hu

Thomas, please reply to the availability of the plates (spades). Having flown your Husky, I can attest to the fact they make the Husky's aileron forces very, very light. Now, if you will only address the elevator and electric flap issue, many of us would be quite grateful. Joe

dogday

n125hu (Joe), are you willing to finance the STC effort and the associated liability for an electric flap mod? If you organize the effort appropriately and can find enough folks/Husky-owners to invest, I may be willing to throw some money into the project provided it includes something close to 40 degrees of flap actuation.

You can't get to 40 Degrees with the current Bellcrank, because it would end up going over center. You can however get a whole lot more than stock as far as flap travel is concerned and it's very easy to do.

No need for electric either, unless you want that (I don't)

I'm happy to give a pattern for those wanting to make their own flap stop bracket, I'd even be happy to water jet some and offer them inexpensively for those folks curious about checking them out (but obviously not use them for flight, due to the obvious lack of STC etc...You do have to enlarge the hole in the left side panel to allow for the extra flap torque tube travel.

Steve.

Meadowlark

My flap travel is -4* to +42*....... Plus some other mods.

The flaps are electrically actuated...... And NO..... I won't go back to a manual flap handle.

J/C GTF

In flight, you don't have 42 degrees, only on the ground. In flight you lose a few degrees, but no biggie.

But the travel you do have is the same as I have, give or take a little manufacturing error at the factory. I like your actuator and you and I arrived at the same point, just slightly different arrival methods.

If I wanted electric flaps, I'd do exactly as you have done. I think the installation is clean and well thought out.

For me, the flap handle works well and I don't think we fly at all the same way, so I prefer the manual flaps for my needs.

I wouldn't touch the STC thing with a 10 foot pole. The liability along is not at all worth it. My attorney has staunchly advised that no matter what you do, you are not able to fully protect yourself from one single failure.

Definitely not worth it to lose everything over what amounts to a toy for all intents and purposes.

Steve

FliFoFud

To put the spades on a currently certified Husky data approved or acceptable to the administrator is required for the 337. The guidance for this is found in AC 43.210. There are a number of ways that this data can be obtained.

Thomas, you stated, "for installation by 337 only". Has there been a 337 granted already? If so, than this can be the basis for accepted data by the administrator.

If not, the data from the STC (for the skis) may be used with the permission of the STC holder.

AC 43.210 is specific and in many regards permissive. The FAA inspectors may make a show of dragging their heels. However, in the end, they have little choice than to adhere to the tenets of their own advisory circular.

I also have an old "44" Howard. I have used this AC many times and have yet to meet with a lack of success. Once the 337 is issued, the spades are as legal as any other item on the airplane.

Cheers, Paul

groshel

Paul,

Thanks for the input.... That's the discussion I wanted to get going.

I agree that with a previously approved 337 as acceptable data that the spades installation shouldn't be an issue at the FSDO even though some inspectors are reluctant.

I get the feeling that some reasons inspectors aren't fond of doing Field Approvals is that the newer crop of inspectors aren't light aircraft savy, they have a bunch of other tasks going on in the office and some guys don't want to risk their careers and their time on "your" project.

The few field approvals I've gotten (as the installer and later the RTS guy) were annoying slow. One inspector carried it to an extreme by doing a physical inspection of a Garmin xponder in place of a Narco unit using a Garmin provided Narco rack adapter.

I guess after 30 years IAing I still haven't got it figured out since I still get paperwork kicked back from the Feds occasionally. Maybe it's just the area I'm in.

The other option is applying the ski STC....
....... But I never attempted to only do a portion of an STC on the 337. I can't imagine an FAA inspector even considering that.

In my opinion I would have to incorporate the entire STC, approve and submit the 337, and then "pull" the skis and extra fittings, lines and pump that we're never installed... That is if the STC instruction allowed that and
Thomas would provide the STC and permission.

In the end it's not that I'm afraid of the Feds. They, for the most part are reasonable even if they are a little bureaucratic....it's the insurance companies and courts ....as I am always reminded by my better half who is an attorney.

Just trying to do it the right way since modifying (forces) on a flight control is most likely a major alteration

So who out there has gotten the new spades approved on a 337 via Field Approval.

Chris