No longer - Wanted A1B muffler.

DAFLYR

I have a flame tube that is mostly gone and I‘m looking for a second one to do a swap to minimize down time for a repair. Hopefully someone has one lying around that has the flame tube in it and not damage. Thanks.

Jason MN

I have a A1-C-180 that is getting PowerFlow exhaust. The stock system will be for sale.
2014 with less then 300 hours. Would you be interested in that?

Rolly

Curious if the PF has improved the performance to a degree that the investment warrants it without doubt

Snowbirdxx

Had a PF on the Husky, did calibration flights before and after. Saw no difference, but higher CHTs and higher noise. Remoerd and replaced with standard exhaust but no flame tubes.

Rolly

Thank you Tom, that was a quick way to keep $6k. You're sharing is very informative and valuable hope you never leave

Ak Kurt

Thank you Tom, that was a quick way to keep $6k. You're sharing is very informative and valuable hope you never leave
Rolly, if your stock muffler is not cracking like so many do, I would not spend the $ on a PowerFlow. I installed a PF on my airplane after my muffler cracked, my tail pipe almost came off. I bought the PF because I thought it would be more robust, not necessarily due to claimed performance increase. I feel it is a more robust system however my PF did develop some cracks but unlike the stock muffler, the cracks were in an area that were repairable. The cracks were repaired under warranty by PF but it took a lot of convincing by me and my mechanic that we did everything right and followed the instructions for continued airworthiness exactly and even then it was a customer service experience I wasn’t expecting. So if you do buy a PF system follow the instructions exactly and document everything. One thing the PF did improve on is a lot of extra cabin heat, so much so that it can melt the plastic eyeball vents so you will want to include in the order the nice metal ones when you order the PF. So for me, bottom line is don’t get one if stock system is holding up, get one if you find cracks in your stock system. Word has it that the stock system cracking issue has been addressed by AVIAT with their vendor and improvements have been made but I can not confirm that.

Rolly

Al Kurt that is excellent information and thank you. I'm a new Husky owner and enjoying this forum immensely. My stock ('97) exhaust did crack but I replaced it with Acorn Welding stock replacement. It's working just fine but always curious if there's a bit more performance to get.

Snowbirdxx

To get a tad more performance, get the flametubes out and go for the donaldson or K&N airfilter. And if you are getting the flametubes out or not, go to a welder and have him weld a 2-3 mm thick stripe around the endplates of the muffler. That increases the room and airflow for the heater. If more heat is desired check if the shroud around the exhaustoutlet is tight. If not make it tight with an aluminum plate and add an extrs large clamp to hold it.

Last edited:

bumper

In side-by-side flight testing, a friend's Husky would outclimb mine, both with stock exhausts (flame tubes not removed). After I installed the PowerFlow, mine would outclimb his by a significant margin, noticeably more than he had over me previously. That said, I'd go with Tom's advice and just remove the flame tubes.

Ak Kurt

Al Kurt that is excellent information and thank you. I'm a new Husky owner and enjoying this forum immensely. My stock ('97) exhaust did crack but I replaced it with Acorn Welding stock replacement. It's working just fine but always curious if there's a bit more performance to get.
I would keep what you have Rolly. Also, Tom D and Bumper are experts all things Husky and actually I would venture to say experts in just about everything. They are absolute treasures.

Kurt