Oil cooler air intake

Bowser

Hello folks, on a refueling stop, there was an A1 on floats with a modified oil cooler air intake (see picture). Was wondering if some of you have this mod and who is the supplier. For sure it is more efficient and does not rob cooling air from #3 cylinder.

IMG_1724.jpeg

groshel

That’s a new one!…. Not very pretty and by the the line up of rivets on the outboard flange …looks homemade. Wonder what he was trying to correct …High oil temp or high #3 cylinder temp?

Maybe he’d be better off just mounting the oil cooler on the float struts and run lines to it!

bumper

Do a search here on "Tractor Baffle).

Greatly improved cooling can be had without sticking stuff out in the wind! (Well, I guess the redesigned lower cowl lip is sticking out in the wind, but that's already a turbulent, high pressure spot, especially in the climb with the higher angle of attack.

belloypilot

I haven’t heard too many complaints about high oil temperatures on these machines. Is that a thing? Mostly I had the opposite issue until I installed the shutter. Wouldn’t it be more likely he/she was trying to solve a #3 CHT problem?

Bowser

Not sure why that A1 had this mod, was on a quick turn and did not see the owner. Well, seems it is not an STC’ed item and not worth the effort to do the mod. Thank you for sharing the info. Cheers

Rolly

This is too funny, I purchased this plane and we removed it right away.
it was purchased in Quebec,Canada and now lives in Manitoba,Canada.

Ak Kurt

This is too funny, I purchased this plane and we removed it right away.
it was purchased in Quebec,Canada and now lives in Manitoba,Canada.
Do you know if it helped? How are your temps with it removed?

Rolly

I didn’t have any experience where I can share anything worthwhile. I don’t have any problems without it. On floats in summer usuallly run 205