Old farts at the airport

Snowbirdxx

I just realised that I passed 65 and that I now belong to the old farts at the airport. Well experience takes time. Still turning the head and looking at hot Gnoccas, still knowing why, but just looking. Well our nice FAA called me not too long ago, they wanted to suspend my DPE license. Asking why, since I did not screw up anything, they loughed and said that they will give me a Senior DPE license instead. OK so far so good, I now can examine DPEs and no higher grade of license is now possible.
Here two vids from recent MOU checkrides in the Kodiak
Enjoy & Fly safe

Meadowlark

I'm 74..... All the old pilots around here have died in their sleep. I seem to be all alone now.....

J/C. GTF & 18AZ

johnaz

I am 79 and still going strong, flying as much as possible. Just finishing a 'new' hot rod 175, should fly in about 10 days, extended wings, custom motor/Trailblazer prop, new custom panel. Still have my Husky and Supercub too.
If you slow down it is over.
Ins made me sell the Kodiak as most do not want to insure past 75, gave me coverage to 77.
John

johnaz

Latest project, almost complete, should fly in about 10 days. Not a Husky, but should outperform one in takeoff/landing/cruise.
Cessna 175, custom built motor, dynoed at 205HP, Trailblazer prop, new custom panel, Sportsmans STOL kit, VG's, WingX extended wings almost complete, Alaska Bushwheels, extended baggage. Baumann 2550a amphibs for next season.
Superlight build, no weight yet but should be similar to new Husky weight.
John
Tried to load pics, all too large! Not sure how to attach pics as it says file too large. Any suggestions? Could not get all resized, some not set correctly, sorry. Too old to use computer!!

Attachments

• 20220915_111951 (002)(11).jpg
    20220915_111951 (002)(11).jpg
    823 KB · Views: 68
  • 20220819_175020 (002).jpg
    20220819_175020 (002).jpg
    657.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 175 -1.JPG
    175 -1.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 175 -2.JPG
    175 -2.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 175-3.JPG
    175-3.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Ak Kurt

I am 79 and still going strong, flying as much as possible. Just finishing a 'new' hot rod 175, should fly in about 10 days, extended wings, custom motor/Trailblazer prop, new custom panel. Still have my Husky and Supercub too.
If you slow down it is over.
Ins made me sell the Kodiak as most do not want to insure past 75, gave me coverage to 77.
John
John, you are the youngest 79 year old I have ever known.

Kurt

Kent Wien

The iPhone lets you resize when uploading. Select the picture. Then at the bottom of the picture it says “show selected”. Click on that and after it calculates the size click on “actual size”and then choose medium or large.

johnaz

The iPhone lets you resize when uploading. Select the picture. Then at the bottom of the picture it says “show selected”. Click on that and after it calculates the size click on “actual size”and then choose medium or large.
Have an android! Wife did them on her iphone. Thanks.

johnaz

Flew the 175 project, 7 hours on it now. 1427 lbs empty weight, with 26" Bushwheels.
Out performs most Husky's for sure.
Stalls at 27mph, approach at 45mph, land at 35mph, very short. Takes off at 30mph. Both less than 200', full tanks, while I am learning. Less for sure once more proficient. Economical cruise is about 120MPH, high cruise 130+.
The extended wings really allow it to have slow flight, very stable. Just a sink, no real wing drop unless one pulls harder.

Oryx

Flew the 175 project, 7 hours on it now. 1427 lbs empty weight, with 26" Bushwheels.
Out performs most Husky's for sure.
Stalls at 27mph, approach at 45mph, land at 35mph, very short. Takes off at 30mph. Both less than 200', full tanks, while I am learning. Less for sure once more proficient. Economical cruise is about 120MPH, high cruise 130+.
The extended wings really allow it to have slow flight, very stable. Just a sink, no real wing drop unless one pulls harder.
Very nice report.
Send some photos when finished. Those are incredible numbers for that size plane! Well done.