Opinion thread, Dyson 7" vs 3 x GI275

Mepilot

So I want to do a potential partial upgrade to my panel with a final update later this year/next. I really want the lightest/simplest IFR panel I can think of. Right now Im down to two options but Im stuck on research so I figured Id open it to yall and what yall have encountered. Selling a GNS530W, GTX 345, GMA 340 to fund part. Garmin doesn't do a good job of showing weights especially when you dont know what other modules you need in the background.

1. What do yall think the GNS530, GTX 345, and GMA 340 are worth?
2. Weight and thoughts to a 3 x GI275 panel with a GNX375 and lightest comm available?
3. Weight and thoughts to a Dynon 7" with GNX375?
4. What is the lightest Comm yall know about?
5. Dynon doesn't make a IFR GPS is my understanding?
6. Does the GTN650xi have a built in transponder?
7. Is there another option that Im not thinking about?

1. If you have a GMA 340, you can slide in a GMA345, much better intercom. 340 isn't bad. The 530 and 430 are no longer supported and it is a matter of time before the 530W/430W won't be supported either. GTX 345 is great. 530W worth, maybe $5k, maybe.
2. 275 AI, HSI and EMS? Not a bad setup. easiest match with the panel.
3. Don't mix Dynon with Garmin, Garmin makes it hard. Garmin works best with other Garmins. I'd prefer the 275s
4. Trig 91/92 weighs in at 1 lb. The Garmin 250XL isn't bad at 3lb. I retained mine when I upgraded the panel. Mine is AV-30's with a magnetometer. The AI controls the transponder (a Avionics TailbeaconX).
5. Not fond of Dynon
6. GTX650xi is a GPS/Comm/Nav, it does have the ability to remotely control the transponder.
7. VFR, why be tempted by IFR in a Husky?

Mepilot

1. If you have a GMA 340, you can slide in a GMA345, much better intercom. 340 isn't bad. The 530 and 430 are no longer supported and it is a matter of time before the 530W/430W won't be supported either. GTX 345 is great. 530W worth, maybe $5k, maybe.
2. 275 AI, HSI and EMS? Not a bad setup. easiest match with the panel.
3. Don't mix Dynon with Garmin, Garmin makes it hard. Garmin works best with other Garmins. I'd prefer the 275s
4. Trig 91/92 weighs in at 1 lb. The Garmin 250XL isn't bad at 3lb. I retained mine when I upgraded the panel. Mine is AV-30's with a magnetometer. The AI controls the transponder (a Avionics TailbeaconX).
5. Not fond of Dynon
6. GTX650xi is a GPS/Comm/Nav, it does have the ability to remotely control the transponder.
7. VFR, why be tempted by IFR in a Husky?
So being a Husky (2 Place) Im really thinking of ditching a dedicated audio panel for just a built in intercom with whatever radio I choose. The GTX650xi would be nice except it's big and I have to retain my transponder, admittedly a trade off, keep the transponder and combine the radio or combine the transponder and get a radio. I want to keep IFR it so I can punch through stuff if need be, I won't really plan IFR but it doesn't concern me and would rather be able too. Besides the avidyne 430/530 replacement is there another IFR GPS?

belloypilot

I have an XCom radio in my Acrosport that has a built in intercom and it works great. I think it’s a close cousin to a Becker. Hard to believe one could find one much lighter. I assumed I’d have to upgrade to a separate intercom when I bought the airplane but quickly took that off the spendy list. It works really well.

I also have a UAvionix TailBeaconX transponder in the Acrosport. You need an AV20 or 30 to interface with it. I’m not in love with the user interface and button pushing to work the transponder, especially with a single AV30, but a dual AV30 and maybe even a dedicated AV20 just to interface to the transponder would be a nice, light, clean solution. That’s certainly the lightest, lowest power consumption transponder system I’ve come across. UAvionix now has both magnetometers and OAT sensors for certified aircraft as well.

We have a Garmin GNC355 in our Dakota. WAAS GPS + comm radio. Works great. Doesn’t take much space. No nav radio and no remote transponder control.

We had Garmin G3X system in our Grumman AA1B with the Garmin EIS system. That’s quite similar functionality to what you’d get with 3 X GI-275s. Really liked the data logging and Garmin web site for reviewing flight data. Flight+engine data in one package, so you really get a good look at things when evaluating performance or troubleshooting. There’s been other posts on this forum about the 275 not always being a great fit because they are quite long, so that‘s something to look at.

I’d say maximum functionality for least cost and weight would be 2 X AV30 plus a TailBeaconX, a single Becker or XCom radio with built in intercom, and a 660 or 760 portable GPS in a panel dock. Just not IFR legal. For that you’d need to add something like that GNC355 plus an intercom. In that scenario I’d probably pick a PS Engineering unit that can fit in a panel hole if you’re looking to minimize avionics rack space. If not, lots of intercoms to choose from.

My $0.02.

groshel

So I want to do a potential partial upgrade to my panel with a final update later this year/next. I really want the lightest/simplest IFR panel I can think of. Right now Im down to two options but Im stuck on research so I figured Id open it to yall and what yall have encountered. Selling a GNS530W, GTX 345, GMA 340 to fund part. Garmin doesn't do a good job of showing weights especially when you dont know what other modules you need in the background.

2. Weight and thoughts to a 3 x GI275 panel with a GNX375 and lightest comm available?
My thoughts after a panel redo on a 2000 -1B…and without regards to cost.

1. GNS 530…old tech, old display….GTX345..nice unit especially with a GAE 12 encoder but if you need a new WAAS Nav source probably not work keeping…GMA 340….always thought that overkill in a single radio Husky.

2. No experience with GI275…pricey maybe with three units?

3. No experience.

4. How about a GNC 355. Gets you a Comm with a GPS but as Mike said you’d need an intercom.

Becker 4201 is nice and small comm and has a two place intercom. Looks like European users are dumping those cheap on eBay.

GNC 255 is nice if you need VHF Nav….otherwise a GNC 225 does the job.

I’d suggest avoiding the PS audio panel/ comm/ intercom combo. Definitely avoid the PAR 200A….200B is a bit better but I feel still too hard to work . Have had both…wish I didn’t PS1000 is an old standby for just the intercom portion.

5. No thoughts

6. Intergrated transponder doesn’t look like it’s part of the 650xi per Garmin description.

Chris

Mepilot

Been making phone calls today. Latest sounds like

2 x GI275
JPI EDM 730
GTR200B
GNX375
circuit breakers and switches

should kill a lot of weight. I'll review the previous thread regarding 275's and look under my panel to see about fitment with the braces

belloypilot

Can you clarify? Yes I have the original VM1000, burnt out back light and just old and probably unsupported
I think the only JPI devices that are STC'd primary, meaning they allow you to remove engine instruments, are the 900 and 930. If you're replacing your VM1000 it was probably your primary (likely only) engine instrument. If you're going JPI I'm pretty sure you'll need to choose a 900 or 930. The 730 is STC'd as a supplemental instrument, not as a primary engine instrument.

The GI-275 configured as an EIS is STC'd as a primary instrument as well.

Oryx

I have an XCom radio in my Acrosport that has a built in intercom and it works great. I think it’s a close cousin to a Becker. Hard to believe one could find one much lighter. I assumed I’d have to upgrade to a separate intercom when I bought the airplane but quickly took that off the spendy list. It works really well.

I also have a UAvionix TailBeaconX transponder in the Acrosport. You need an AV20 or 30 to interface with it. I’m not in love with the user interface and button pushing to work the transponder, especially with a single AV30, but a dual AV30 and maybe even a dedicated AV20 just to interface to the transponder would be a nice, light, clean solution. That’s certainly the lightest, lowest power consumption transponder system I’ve come across. UAvionix now has both magnetometers and OAT sensors for certified aircraft as well.

We have a Garmin GNC355 in our Dakota. WAAS GPS + comm radio. Works great. Doesn’t take much space. No nav radio and no remote transponder control.

We had Garmin G3X system in our Grumman AA1B with the Garmin EIS system. That’s quite similar functionality to what you’d get with 3 X GI-275s. Really liked the data logging and Garmin web site for reviewing flight data. Flight+engine data in one package, so you really get a good look at things when evaluating performance or troubleshooting. There’s been other posts on this forum about the 275 not always being a great fit because they are quite long, so that‘s something to look at.

I’d say maximum functionality for least cost and weight would be 2 X AV30 plus a TailBeaconX, a single Becker or XCom radio with built in intercom, and a 660 or 760 portable GPS in a panel dock. Just not IFR legal. For that you’d need to add something like that GNC355 plus an intercom. In that scenario I’d probably pick a PS Engineering unit that can fit in a panel hole if you’re looking to minimize avionics rack space. If not, lots of intercoms to choose from.

My $0.02.
I inquired about the TailbeaconX and they told me it would not work on a Husky. Apparently the attachment point on the rudder is to small to accept the TailbeaconX in its stock factory condition.
I’d like to hear if someone has an adapter

belloypilot

I inquired about the TailbeaconX and they told me it would not work on a Husky. Apparently the attachment point on the rudder is to small to accept the TailbeaconX in its stock factory condition.
I’d like to hear if someone has an adapter
I’ll have a closer look at that when I get back to the aircraft. It didn’t look like it would be a problem on my 99 A-1B but I didn’t try it. A friend with a 185 had to fabricate a spacer. I think they come with a couple different spacers now but I could be mistaken.

See my comments on the USB plug install - I now have a lighter fully capable IFR A1-B, I used two G5's which work just fine with the 650xi, and they are cheaper than 275's.

My thoughts after a panel redo on a 2000 -1B…and without regards to cost.

1. GNS 530…old tech, old display….GTX345..nice unit especially with a GAE 12 encoder but if you need a new WAAS Nav source probably not work keeping…GMA 340….always thought that overkill in a single radio Husky.

2. No experience with GI275…pricey maybe with three units?

3. No experience.

4. How about a GNC 355. Gets you a Comm with a GPS but as Mike said you’d need an intercom.

Becker 4201 is nice and small comm and has a two place intercom. Looks like European users are dumping those cheap on eBay.

GNC 255 is nice if you need VHF Nav….otherwise a GNC 225 does the job.

I’d suggest avoiding the PS audio panel/ comm/ intercom combo. Definitely avoid the PAR 200A….200B is a bit better but I feel still too hard to work . Have had both…wish I didn’t PS1000 is an old standby for just the intercom portion.

5. No thoughts

6. Intergrated transponder doesn’t look like it’s part of the 650xi per Garmin description.

Chris
650xi does not have a built in transponder - mine works with my GTX345. Will also work with a remote transponder. I should also note that I have the tall panel, so room was not particularly an issue.

Last edited:

Flying Dave

That’s what we have. G5’s with a GNC 355. Not many airports left these days that don’t t have a GPS approach if the need to get in IFR ever arises. No audio panel. Just intercom.

Mepilot

That’s what we have. G5’s with a GNC 355. Not many airports left these days that don’t t have a GPS approach if the need to get in IFR ever arises. No audio panel. Just intercom.
I'm trying to get back into thinking about IFR from a GA standpoint.

Ive got one friend who says I can't file an alternate with a GPS if the primary destination is a GPS. But another references the 2013 changes that sound like you can. It just forces the alternate to 800/2?

im inclined to agree with you that keeping a NAV function as especially in a Husky might be a little overkill

Flying Dave

Hell I don’t know. lol. For me it’s more of a I’m stuck on top or have to punch through a layer on departure sort of thing in this airplane

Mepilot

Hell I don’t know. lol. For me it’s more of a I’m stuck on top or have to punch through a layer on departure sort of thing in this airplane
That's really the way I'm looking at it as well. Just don't want to pull the NAV function only to find out I really hurt myself in some way.