PK 2250a floats

Awellslo

I have a 2004 A1-B. Do the PK 2250As come with a gross weight increase? I can't find anything on the web about useful load. Trying to determine how practical they are. Thoughts?

johnaz

I have a 2004 A1-B. Do the PK 2250As come with a gross weight increase? I can't find anything on the web about useful load. Trying to determine how practical they are. Thoughts?
Floats cut the payload way down, amphibs worse. But Husky does well on amphibs, better than most.
John

Awellslo

Thank you John. I realize that. But, does anyone have any real numbers? I’m trying to determine if adding the PK 2250As will work — for me.

BlackWater

I have PKs and rotate them on and off my A-1B.
Removing my landing gear is -142# adding the amphibs with all the components is +416# so you are down -274# on useful load, but you pick up 250# in gross weight increase with the PK STC so in the end I lost 24 lbs of useful load (4 gallons of fuel).
I love the PKs their design and construction is great. No fins to add and the hydraulics are in the floats so leaving 7 lbs of solenoids and wire mounted in the fuselage when I'm on bush-wheels is no big deal. They were designed JUST for the Husky so the floats line up nice on the CG also. I have them off the plane currently but if you get down this way your welcome to come on by and have a look.

Awellslo

Excellent BlackWater! Just what I was looking for!

Really thinking hard these days. Can't get them out of my mind. Yesterday, I had "the talk" about costs with my wife. That went well - which is always a good sign.

Ak Kurt

Better look into insurance cost while you and your wife are talking costs.

I would love to have a set of PK’s, I think they are the best Amphib for a Husky.

Kurt

Awellslo

Better look into insurance cost while you and your wife are talking costs.
Some things are better left unmentioned. She's a "big picture" kind of person anyway. But, yes, insurance it is definitely a factor. I have about 500 hours of straight float time - half as an instructor in Super Cubs and C172s, and half in a Beaver for a part 135 operator. Not amphib time for sure - but hopefully it'll help.

belloypilot

I have PKs and rotate them on and off my A-1B.
Removing my landing gear is -142# adding the amphibs with all the components is +416# so you are down -274# on useful load, but you pick up 250# in gross weight increase with the PK STC so in the end I lost 24 lbs of useful load (4 gallons of fuel).
I love the PKs their design and construction is great. No fins to add and the hydraulics are in the floats so leaving 7 lbs of solenoids and wire mounted in the fuselage when I'm on bush-wheels is no big deal. They were designed JUST for the Husky so the floats line up nice on the CG also. I have them off the plane currently but if you get down this way your welcome to come on by and have a look.
This is great information. What wheel size does the 142# weight apply to?

BlackWater

The 142 lb was with 31 ABWs. Also I did take the tail spring off and put a tie down eye in the attachment point instead. Here is a Video of putting floats on, I have gotten much better and faster at it since this first time.
The insurance is a very big factor but also there are many details to figure out that can make a big difference in your insurance cost, take your time and talk to multiple insurance companies.
The PK factory is great to work with, my floats were badly wrecked when I got them and I purchased the float assemblies with all the riveting done but no other parts on them and then swapped everything over. I also purchased a large amount of parts inventory because at the time PK thought they might go out of business due to the death of the owner and I did not want to put time and money in floats that might not have repair parts available. PK is now doing great, so if anyone needs parts on the West coast or instruction (in their plane) let me know.

Awellslo

With the PK2250As, is it possible to push the airplane around--say at the fuel pump, or in and out of the hangar? Or does it require a special towbar, and more than one man's muscle?

Ak Kurt

I would assume so. If they are anything like Wip’s as far as swiveling nose wheels its super easy to push around, even easier than if it were on wheels.

Kurt

airplanebrad

Pushes around decently. I had the front wire that goes between the front of both pontoons. I used that to push it into the hangar by hand. As long as your level it’s fine. But a tow bar for a stearman or T6 could be modified to use. Or I’ve seen people use a best tug brand tug with the lazy Susan under just one of the front wheels and that works fine.

belloypilot

I was thinking about it in a year or so, but if there's a pricing advantage to doing so a bit sooner I'd consider it.

johnaz

I was thinking about it in a year or so, but if there's a pricing advantage to doing so a bit sooner I'd consider it.
Belloypilot,
If you want a set too, we could make a deal to have them delivered by truck, yours is on the way to Alaska. spent a few nights there going back and forth over the years. Next spring would work for me too, if not this one.
John

belloypilot

Belloypilot,
If you want a set too, we could make a deal to have them delivered by truck, yours is on the way to Alaska. spent a few nights there going back and forth over the years. Next spring would work for me too, if not this one.
John
If I got them this year they would very likely sit for a year, so spring 2022 is better for me, but as I said earlier if enough others team up and get a meaningful discount on a group buy I’d consider participating sooner. Would you be looking to have yours shipped to AZ or AK? I’d want to get mine installed by my mechanic here in Grande Prairie to make sure he’s familiar with taking them on an off.

johnaz

If I got them this year they would very likely sit for a year, so spring 2022 is better for me, but as I said earlier if enough others team up and get a meaningful discount on a group buy I’d consider participating sooner. Would you be looking to have yours shipped to AZ or AK? I’d want to get mine installed by my mechanic here in Grande Prairie to make sure he’s familiar with taking them on an off.
Looking to have mine shipped to Alaska. Let's see if anyone else has an interest in a set, would think if 3 price would be better.