Preferred Routes

Skipper

Planning to spend a fair amount of time in Idaho this summer. Wondering if there is a written guide with the preferred routes, gas stops etc. into the various strips. Will initially be coming from the East and have seen the guide "Flying Idaho" and wonder if it is worth purchasing and contains such information.

Thanks

joemcd

The Fly Idaho book by Galen Hanselman, rest in peace, is worth its weight in gold. It gives very complete info on each strip. It is a must have. If you tell me where you are thinking you are going in the backcountry, I would be happy to share my preferred routes. I also highly recommend some dual instruction in the Idaho Backcountry if this is your first trip. You will progress much more quickly, be safer, and enjoy your trip(s) more with the added confidence.

Joe

K Borror

Excellent book, visit Idaho Aviation Association also for airstrip information. If you haven’t been there before I would also recommend either having an experienced pilot to follow or take some training. It’s easy to get turned around and not sure where you are in that country. It will be a great experience. Kevin

Skipper

Thank you will get the book. I live in Paradise Valley in Montana and that is what I meant approaching from the East. Interested in Flying B Ranch, Johnson's Creek and the Root Ranch. Have been flying the Husky for about a year but mainly in Montana and down to Wyoming. Have a strip on my property at an elevation 5000 feet and am familiar with the mountain challenges. Just looking to suck up knowledge. My email is dschildecker@gmail and any route preferences would be greatly appreciated.

MTV

Easy route to the Idaho backcountry from the Paradise Valley is come up through the Gallatin Valley (wave as you go past, I'm in BZN) then west to Salmon, fuel there, and hop over pretty much direct to Johnson Creek from Salmon. If the peaks are obscured, you'll have to do a bit of canyon flying to get there.

By all means, get a copy of Galen Hanselman's book "Fly Idaho". Be sure to get the latest edition. Galen just passed away, but his books are a real treasure trove of information. He also wrote a similar book, "Fly the Big Sky" which gives all sorts of information on Montana backcountry.

Stop in BZN some time and visit.

MTV

David

If you are going to Johnson's Creek, make sure to stop at Big Creek. Almost as easy as Johnson's Creek and much more picturesque. I really like hiking (fishing is good too) at Cabin Creek. Bruce's Meadow has good camping, short walk to great fishing streams, and if you are there at the right time, salmon spawning. Highest elevation salmon spawning in US??? Idaho has just tons of wonderful paved and back country strips for pilots of any skill level. I have found it best to fly in the morning there. Bring camping gear just in case the weather suggests you stay the night or a couple of days. Have fun!
David