Prop clearance/tires

DelaPlanet

I’m obsessing a bit over replacing the 76” Hartzell with a 2-blade MT or Trailblazer. I hate the RPM limit right in the middle of the useful range, I hate the noise/vibration, and I’d love to get some weight off the nose. My airplane is currently on 8.50s and the prop clearance already feels pretty tight to me. Both of the props I’m looking at are 80” making it even tighter.

related - is this 76” Hartzell worth anything to anyone? It is basically new - 100 hours on it.

Which 26” tires will work with my Stock wheels? Goodyear?

thanks to everyone on the forum for helping me out as I’ve adopted my amazing A-1B!

Hoagy

Flying Dave

You can probably sell it on Barnstormers. Experimental crowd will buy it I’ve been told. I’m about to head down the same path with ours as I just bought an Ultra at OSH. Our prop however has considerably more time on it.

As to the clearance issues I believe the longer props require a min tire size of 8.50 so you should be good to go. They look so sexy on larger tires though…. Gateway drug toGoodyear 26” tires (which are not that much larger than some 8.50’s) or 29/31’s which will negate the weight loss of the prop lol..

DelaPlanet

You can probably sell it on Barnstormers. Experimental crowd will buy it I’ve been told. I’m about to head down the same path with ours as I just bought an Ultra at OSH. Our prop however has considerably more time on it.

As to the clearance issues I believe the longer props require a min tire size of 8.50 so you should be good to go. They look so sexy on larger tires though…. Gateway drug toGoodyear 26” tires (which are not that much larger than some 8.50’s) or 29/31’s which will negate the weight loss of the prop lol..
I talked to Larry about the MT Prop deal they have going. I hope they still have a few left on Monday!

DelaPlanet

People keep talking about tubed Goodyear 26” but all I can find when I search is tubeless ones…which 26” tubed tire are you guys using? I can’t afford to buy new wheels right now and I’m flying off pavement a lot.

TheFlyingMouse

You put the same tube from the 8.50s inside the Goodyear “tubeless” tires and same stock wheels. (Get new ones if yours are old, of course.)

Goodyear 26 will be my next tire as well since I’m based on pavement.

For prop clearance on pavement or grass, the 83” MTV-15/210-58 prop has not been an issue on 8.50s. If I was operating on gravel a lot I would go for bigger tires instead of wearing these out first.

DelaPlanet

You put the same tube from the 8.50s inside the Goodyear “tubeless” tires and same stock wheels. (Get new ones if yours are old, of course.)

Goodyear 26 will be my next tire as well since I’m based on pavement.

For prop clearance on pavement or grass, the 83” MTV-15/210-58 prop has not been an issue on 8.50s. If I was operating on gravel a lot I would go for bigger tires instead of wearing these out first.
Interesting….do I need paperwork for this?

The MT Ultra is what I’m looking a….80” I think?

TheFlyingMouse

The Goodyears are actually in the type certificate. Should be able to find a lot about it on a forum search or maybe someone who has run these can chime in. The relevant text is on pages 14 and 15 here:

See the MT prop and tire reference for the 26 x 10.5 6 ply with tube. You may want to double check for the Ultra. Ultimately I think Note 13 is what applies but it depends on your configuration and IANAL.

For the MT Ultra, I think you’re right about size but double check the spec sheet. At 80”, you should have even less to worry about than I do. Just operate tail low and let her get moving a little before giving it the beans on takeoff on loose surfaces.

Last edited:

Snowbirdxx

If you buy new Tubes, Go for the Michelin. Much more durable them airtrack Look for bumper and Goodyear in this Forum and you will find a Pic how to modify the wheels to prevent slippage and valve stem shearing.

Oryx

Beat you by two days!
I hope you guys have a chance to test the top speed performance of your new prop versus the old ones.
It seems people really can tell a difference on take off and I’m curious if the top speed improves as well. Let us know if you do!

TheFlyingMouse

I’m actually curious how you guys do with climb from sea level on the Ultra. On the older MTV-15-210/58, I’m seeing about 1100 fpm on a standard day around 1900 gross and 8.50s. An A-1 with the aluminum prop registered 1400 fpm at gross on 31” bush wheels. I’m not sure if the A-1 VSI was lying though; I checked mine against videos and the gps and it seems accurate.