Rainbow

Proteus

South west Scotland.

A couple other pictures from our bounce around. Scoping out this causeway as a potential landing site

Attachments

• 20201212_143800s.jpg
    20201212_143800s.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20201212_144953s.jpg
    20201212_144953s.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 28

Kent Wien

I once landed at Pendine Sands which was a beach owned by the Royal Navy. I suspect that isn’t really allowed now? It’s in Wales anyway.

Proteus

I suspect that isn’t really allowed now?
Very cool,

I'm not sure who owns it now but they still do speed record runs on the beach. The law in Britain generally allows you to land where you like as long as you have the landowner's permission. The slight quirk of this though is that the intertidal coastline is generally owned by the Queen (Crown estate) and the general position seems to be that access is allowed to people in general This includes motor vehicles (I think meant for boat launching). So in practice, as long as you keep away from people one can land on empty beaches inbetween high tide and low tide.

Not quite the fantastic stuff you guys have in the states, but we managed to have a bit of fun around here.

Kent Wien

Very cool,

I'm not sure who owns it now but they still do speed record runs on the beach. The law in Britain generally allows you to land where you like as long as you have the landowner's permission. The slight quirk of this though is that the intertidal coastline is generally owned by the Queen (Crown estate) and the general position seems to be that access is allowed to people in general This includes motor vehicles (I think meant for boat launching). So in practice, as long as you keep away from people one can land on empty beaches inbetween high tide and low tide.

Not quite the fantastic stuff you guys have in the states, but we managed to have a bit of fun around here.
Oh l, that would be fantastic. A perfect place to explore with a Husky!

Ak Kurt

I would love to have a Husky to tour around there! I have flown over the area a lot departing London and Dublin. When the weather is good it stunning! I guess nothing is for free though, high gas prices, landing fees, and so on but it sure is fun looking down and imagining cruising all around that area in a Husky. I loved the pictures! Post more. :)

Kurt

PS Is that a USA registered Husky? What is the story on it?

Proteus

Yes, we do battle the weather a bit. However, when it is good the flying is superb fun. High fuel prices are a pain. If you ever happen to be over do give me a shout and you're welcome to come up flying. The UK is a fairly convenient size for a husky as you can fly anywhere on one tank, and often there and back.

Yes it's on the American register. It just so happened it was that way when I bought it. The chap we bought it from bought it new from the states. Shipped it over, then basically didn't fly it much at all. Then I bought it and have been enjoying it ever since. I got lucky with the N reg. I wouldn't even consider owning a certified aircraft that wasn't on the N reg. The UK and other European registers can be pretty oppressive (much like Europe itself).

I'll try to share pics on here more often when I go somewhere interesting.

Below is a photo from the Isle of mull where we went upto a couple of years back.

Attachments

• DSC_8999s.jpg
    DSC_8999s.jpg
    586.7 KB · Views: 23

Jim Christian

Yes, we do battle the weather a bit. However, when it is good the flying is superb fun. High fuel prices are a pain. If you ever happen to be over do give me a shout and you're welcome to come up flying. The UK is a fairly convenient size for a husky as you can fly anywhere on one tank, and often there and back.

Yes it's on the American register. It just so happened it was that way when I bought it. The chap we bought it from bought it new from the states. Shipped it over, then basically didn't fly it much at all. Then I bought it and have been enjoying it ever since. I got lucky with the N reg. I wouldn't even consider owning a certified aircraft that wasn't on the N reg. The UK and other European registers can be pretty oppressive (much like Europe itself).

I'll try to share pics on here more often when I go somewhere interesting.

Below is a photo from the Isle of mull where we went upto a couple of years back.
Glenforsa on Mull is my all time favourite airfield. Frequently flew there from Glasgow Flying Club in a Skyhawk, before getting my Husky. I actually looked at buying a house adjacent to the strip, but ended up in Arisaig instead, with nowhere nearby to keep my Husky. Don't ask me why. It's a long story.

Proteus

Glenforsa and Bute are two of my favourite island destinations. I've only sailed up by Arisaig but if I recall that area is mostly rock and hill without too many fields. I would have thought it should be possible to find a field suitable to squeeze a husky in and out of though. A real shame, it would be a perfect way to get around in that area.

Jim Christian

Oh wonderful photos!!!

Kurt
Glenforsa and Bute are two of my favourite island destinations. I've only sailed up by Arisaig but if I recall that area is mostly rock and hill without too many fields. I would have thought it should be possible to find a field suitable to squeeze a husky in and out of though. A real shame, it would be a perfect way to get around in that area.
Yes, the monks of centuries ago called the area 'Na Garbh Chriochan' in Gaelic, meaning the 'Rough Bounds'. Despite a long time search, I've been unable to find a suitable spot nearby on which to land or build a hangar. The closest I came was a field close to Ben Nevis, but after landing there with the owner's consent, he told me his family found the noise of the aircraft a problem as they operated a pony trekking business. I'm still searching. Meantime the Husky sleeps in Wick.

Proteus

Yes, the monks of centuries ago called the area 'Na Garbh Chriochan' in Gaelic, meaning the 'Rough Bounds'. Despite a long time search, I've been unable to find a suitable spot nearby on which to land or build a hangar. The closest I came was a field close to Ben Nevis, but after landing there with the owner's consent, he told me his family found the noise of the aircraft a problem as they operated a pony trekking business. I'm still searching. Meantime the Husky sleeps in Wick.
Crikey, Wick must be a bit of a trek. Are there no local lairds nearby with a load of land and interest in aviation? A friend did make his airstrip out of a hillside. It did involve hammering out a couple hundred thousand tons of stone though. But has no issues with waterlogging!
Curious, what are the benefits of having an “N” registered airplane in the UK?
-No insurance premium tax on your annual insurance.
-No mandatory 50 hour checks, CAMO maintenance organisation requirements, tech log for every flight, ARC renewals,etc
-Better access to STCs
-Ability to use the FAA IR rather than the EASA IR which requires half of the ATPL exams to be sat at gatwick and can only be done at a handful of schools
-Ability to use freelance A&P and IA's for sign offs
- More owner preventative maintenance allowed
- More owner ability to run on condition and not tied to hour or calendar overhauls.
to name but a few

Jim Christian

Crikey, Wick must be a bit of a trek. Are there no local lairds nearby with a load of land and interest in aviation? A friend did make his airstrip out of a hillside. It did involve hammering out a couple hundred thousand tons of stone though. But has no issues with waterlogging!

-No insurance premium tax on your annual insurance.
-No mandatory 50 hour checks, CAMO maintenance organisation requirements, tech log for every flight, ARC renewals,etc
-Better access to STCs
-Ability to use the FAA IR rather than the EASA IR which requires half of the ATPL exams to be sat at gatwick and can only be done at a handful of schools
-Ability to use freelance A&P and IA's for sign offs
ltra jealours of our U- More owner preventative maintenance allowed
- More owner ability to run on condition and not tied to hour or calendar overhauls.
to name but a few
Yes, Wick's a hard 5 3/4 hour drive from Arisaig. It doesn't allow for spontaneity and because of Scotland's weather, disappointment and frustration are commonplace. Makes me ultra jealous of our US friends who always seem to be blessed with countless landing places, flat fields and good weather.