Rear Heat Kit

Bill T

Hello everyone -
I am a new Husky owner looking to install Aviat’s A-1-542 Defrost and rear heat kit in our ‘96 A-1. Has anyone purchased this kit? Are you satisfied with the amount of heat it provides?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Bill T
Oshkosh, WI

groshel

Mine came with it….I yanked it out..Eyeball vent down near rear stick base didn’t do anything for me.

I made a piccolo tube under the front seat with holes at each end that at least kept the front seat butt and the rear feet warmer.

The biggest problem is getting flow thru the heater system into the cabin. The heat is there but not in any volume.

A couple folks here including Snowbird have rerouted the SCAT tubing to make things a bit more effective.

chris

Hook a piece of scat tubing to your side air vent run it up under the panel and down to the top of the inside airbox hook the scat tubing to the air box with a ducting flange, crack the air vent about a 1/8" to 1/4" and you'll have all the heat you need.

Brad20j

I had it installed when I bought the plane, and I’ve flown planes without it too.

In addition to the rear seat heat, the kit also provides provides an extra intake to the heater muff for more airflow, ans well as a defroster, which several of us up here have used effectively.

While the floor location of the eyeball vents leaves something to be desired, once you’re leaned out, they do provide a decent amount to heat to both seats. Nevertheless, when the sun goes down and the temps get into the single digits Fahrenheit, I keep two lightweight blankets in the plane to capture the heat and keep it where it’s needed. My wife and I have been quite comfortable in the cold with this setup.

It’s still not at the Powerflow heat level.

Snowbirdxx

Bill,

most of the heat between the muffler and the shroud is escaping though the gap at the main exhaust pipe. Check yours, the gap is huge. You can make a pice of aluminum which has the correct cutout ( Try with cardboard first ) Then clamp the aluminum to the shroud using a big hose clamp in the middle of the muffler , while the outside end goes under the existing hoseclamp. If your hea t is still unsufficient, you need to increase the distance from the muffler and the shroud. I used a 1/10 thick U type aluminum channel that bends and goes on both endrings of the muffler. For easy bending this channel is cut to the bottom every 1/2 inch.

Bill T

Thanks everyone - I really appreciate your input. I sure don’t care to spend $2800 on the Aviat rear seat kit for no reason!