Recommendations on Primitive Camping Strips ID, MT, WY

Heading out from Florida next week. Looking to spend a few solo nights off the grid and under the wing. I’ve read all there is to read and watched countless YouTube videos on Idaho strips and airplane camping. Just wondering what this group would offer in terms of favorite Husky friendly strips. I’ll be in SW Montana, Idaho and WY. Looking for quiet, maybe a little less travelled, safe-enough strips to pitch my tent. Maybe a recommendation on where to fly for breakfast too.

Also, any recommendations on where in Kansas or Eastern Colorado where I might overnight.

jkalus

Shaffer and Meadow Creek we’re favorites of mine in MT when I was there. Not very busy. They are not far from Glacier NP so the prospect of encountering a bear is real. I did not see any.

MTV

If you don't already have copies, I highly recommend getting a copy of Galen Hanselman's books: "Fly Idaho" and "Fly the Big Sky". Lots of great information in those books to help make good decisions.

MTV

tbienz

Miracle Mile strip is pretty nice. We maintain it with EAA and RAF working together. It is on a mile of fantastic trout fishing in the North Platte River between Seminoe Reservoir and Pathfinder Reservoir. Campsites are available on the river or you can pitch a tent at the parking area up on the mesa by the windsock. It takes about 10 minutes to walk from the plane down to the river.

tbienz

If you are used to the performance down at sea level in Florida, be a little cautious up here in Wyoming and Idaho...the DA is often over 10,000 feet at some of these airstrips and your plane’s performance will seem off a bit.

K Borror

Chamberlain Basin is a really nice area if you’re wanting to be on your own with a beautiful creek below it. Sulphur Creek has the best breakfast in Idaho. You’ll need a reservation this year with Covid. Contact Kiere at info@sulphurcreekranch.com
Kevin

David

A couple of my favorite back country Idaho strips are Lower Loon and Big Creek. Big Creek is a great back country strip for getting used to high elevation strips and high DA with large safety margins due to the width and length of the strip. Good camping and great views. The lodge serves meals and you can stay there if you are tired of camping. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g28933-d15813610-Reviews-Big_Creek_Lodge-Idaho.html Lower Loon is a bit of a challenge, 1200 ft long, if I remember, but easy to do if you are comfortable with your Husky. Another fun place to eat is at the "Wrangler--home of the 2 lb burger" or "The Country Crumb" both just across the street, in Fairfield, Id, from the Camus County Airport.

So many choices, so little time!
David

If you are used to the performance down at sea level in Florida, be a little cautious up here in Wyoming and Idaho...the DA is often over 10,000 feet at some of these airstrips and your plane’s performance will seem off a bit.
Thanks - good advice. Ive been flying Husky in MT the last couple of years and have been out there and back once this year. I also am getting two additional days of personal instruction from Lori MacNichols’ school next week.

If you don't already have copies, I highly recommend getting a copy of Galen Hanselman's books: "Fly Idaho" and "Fly the Big Sky". Lots of great information in those books to help make good decisions.

MTV
Thanks = my copies of Fly Idaho are well worn but I appreciate this groups thoughts and experiences

Ak Kurt

Thanks - good advice. Ive been flying Husky in MT the last couple of years and have been out there and back once this year. I also am getting two additional days of personal instruction from Lori MacNichols’ school next week.

Give us a PIREP on Lori’s training after you do it. Have fun!

Kurt

tbienz

At Mile-Hi you have about 300’ to land it, but it’s steep enough that you stop very quickly. Don’t try to land early, there is rusting equipment hiding in the grass. Just leave some power in as you flare so you don’t pancake into the side of the mountain. There’s some nice trail-free hiking and wildlife available, but not much else due to its elevation.

Snowbirdxx

Loris mountain course is teaching the bare basics. Not sure if they land on Mile High. Our strips in the Alps are all like Mile
High and maybe steeper, but most of them have good restaurants and good wine.

So just looking at the food side, I rate the mountain course at Bozano advanced, not to mention our landing sites!

Last edited: