Relocating the compass as a safety measure

FlyingDog

The Magnetic Compass is REQUIRED by the Kinds of Operating List (KOEL) in the FAA Approved Aviat Aircraft Inc. A-xx Airplane Flight Manual for Day/Night/VFR/IFR Operation. Could be superseded by STC if one specifically allows.

jliltd

Mike, I think we tried the Sirs unit on brother Kent’s airplane and we could not find an acceptable place to mount it. I will let Kent comment further.

Kurt
I bought an SIRS Pegasus compass (12V lit) and mounted it in the original location in the factory compass bracket. It works fantastic with negligible correction when swinging it on the compass rose. Doesn't solve the head injury question but I was surprised to here so many folks were getting interference with the SIRS. I have installed 4 SIRS compasses in my aircraft and 3 in friends airplanes over the years. The only one that had interference issues was a Mooney C model. We degaussed the steel windshield tube and that helped but found the Mooney tube needed degaussing every couple of years. When degaussing remove the compass and put it on a bench on the opposite side of the hangar as the EMF degausser can permanently damage a compass.

GreggMotonaga

I need a new compass. My factory compass is starting to leak. Has anyone installed the SIRS Navigator compass in the original overhead location? Or just the SIRS Pegasus model? I like the SIRS Navigator because it is so light, but I don't know how it would fit up there. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

harry harper

Dang..You guys reminded me that I've got a mag compass. Havent looked at it since I owned the plane. But I will now to be sure that I dont hit the noggen on it. Even though I do wear a helmet.

jliltd

I need a new compass. My factory compass is starting to leak. Has anyone installed the SIRS Navigator compass in the original overhead location? Or just the SIRS Pegasus model? I like the SIRS Navigator because it is so light, but I don't know how it would fit up there. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
The Pegasus fits right into the factory bracket location. Don't see a need to go with a Navigator as that's basically the same compass except it has a glare shield surface type mount or windshield type mount. So I would think the Navigator was slightly heavier (not that a few ounces either way should make a difference). Why complicate your life by trying to adapt a Navigator where there is already a plug and play bracket for a Pegasus?

GreggMotonaga

Good to know about the pegasus. It looked significantly different from the Navigator, and I thought it was going to be as uninteresting as the original compass. I like the look of the Navigator. But now that you draw my attention to the Pegasus, I can see that it is a nice looking uint and agree that it would be better to put something into the existing bracket. The existing unit is wired for the light. Do you know if it is easy to reconnect the Pegasus to power? If not, I could go without the light.

JeffOpar

You are not allowed to do it however, if you were to buy the sunpath kit and fluid from spruce its easy to replace the gaskets and fluid. The gaskets dry out over time.

jliltd

Good to know about the pegasus. It looked significantly different from the Navigator, and I thought it was going to be as uninteresting as the original compass. I like the look of the Navigator. But now that you draw my attention to the Pegasus, I can see that it is a nice looking uint and agree that it would be better to put something into the existing bracket. The existing unit is wired for the light. Do you know if it is easy to reconnect the Pegasus to power? If not, I could go without the light.
Yes, Re-use the wire harness that comes out of the wing root cover at the corner of the windshield. I believe it uses hand shake connectors with nylon tubing and zip ties that are commonly used on aircraft. I put some black nylon wire sleeve over the wire harness for a finished look. 1/8" split convoluted tubing would work too.
knife_splice_2.jpg

The 12 volt model of the Pegaus is part number PG2, at least it was back in 2016 when I did the replacement. SIRS compasses with the silicon damping fluid awesome and I have nothing but good things to say about them. One I put in my Comanche had zero deviation in all directions right out of the box.

Last edited: