RF8001 Wheelskis FOR SALE

dankozak

Used RF8001's in great shape w/ a set of 8.50's + Tom's fantastic electric hydraulic pump included. Includes rigging for stock A-1B gear. $13,500 located in Anchorage, AK. -SOLD-

Airglas Cargo Pod: $1,500 -SOLD-

Alaska Aircraft Engine Cover w/ -Ski rigging cutouts: $400

3 Blade MT Prop and Spinner Cover: $100

Kennon Mesh Wing Covers w/ Spoilers + Windscreen Cover: $400 -SOLD-

dankozak@me.com
(913) 306-6391

Attachments

• IMG_1043.jpg
    IMG_1043.jpg
    694.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

dankozak

I wish I was moving to Arizona, especially in December through about the first week of March. We will be heading down that way for a month or two in the van to the Tucson area to do some bicycle riding. I had an accident in the husky this summer and was very fortunate to walk out of it. Unfortunately the husky did not get as lucky.

Ak Kurt

I wish I was moving to Arizona, especially in December through about the first week of March. We will be heading down that way for a month or two in the van to the Tucson area to do some bicycle riding. I had an accident in the husky this summer and was very fortunate to walk out of it. Unfortunately the husky did not get as lucky.
Oh geeezzz Dan, sorry to hear that.

Kurt

dankozak

Thanks for all the interest, the skis and pod have all been sold locally.

I have an additional set of mesh wing covers with spoilers for $400. They are custom fit for the husky wingtip with the fuel vent.

dankozak

The husky airframe and helmet saved my life. Highly recommend finding a helmet if you operate in the mountains.

dankozak

During a takeoff at remote glacier strip at about 5,000ft elevation while climbing into gradually rising terrain I encountered a tailwind shear and a downdraft and was unable to clear the terrain. The takeoff area was below a glacier moraine wall with several higher hanging glaciers in the area. I have been into and out of this area several times before. It was in the late afternoon with significant down glacier flow, made three approach passes to assess the wind thinking there would be some shear or terrain turbulence but seeing none was able to make approach and landing with no issue. The accident occurred about a couple hours after we had hiked the entire area, had walked up to the local hut for a snack and around to feel the wind in the takeoff and climb out path and it was a consistent 20mph down valley flow. The takeoff performance and wind conditions were normal and as expected, as the aircraft started to climb up and over the moraine wall there was a significant tailwind shear and downdraft, there was an area of lower terrain and a lower climb out path toward the back of the rising cirque that I had identified as escape option during the initial series of passes and the approaches, as I got the nose down and kept the airplane flying we were making out way out the escape we took a second tailwind shear and more significant downdraft that pushed us below the terrain. I was able to make a tight immediate turn toward a grassy knoll they we had walked up on the way to the hut and was able to get the wings level and the tires under the aircraft, pulled full flaps and got all the energy out of the wing just prior to ground impact, saw 38mph on the groundspeed just as we hit, the left wing broke in a full stall and hit first then the front left cowl and landing gear and the aircraft rotated as we hit. My head struck the left wing structure that came into the cabin during the impact, the fuel tank ruptured causing avgas into pour into the cabin and there was arcing from the electrical bus from behind the panel, got the fuel and the master off, grabbed a small survival seat kit and we were out of the crash in just a few seconds thinking there would be a post impact fire due to the ruptured tank. The impact that helmet took was significant, skull fracture or worse without it and the husky airframe allowed us to walk away without any serious injuries. No words can express how thankful I am for that result.

There is a lot to take away from this accident, more than I can ever summarise in a blog post. Please reach out for any information and I would be glad to talk more about it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 2.24.47 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 2.24.47 PM.png
    737.2 KB · Views: 74

Ak Kurt

Wow Dan, I’m so glad you are ok. What helmet were you using? Looks like the airframe protected you pretty good. So glad you are ok.

Kurt

Jeb

Whee. I always thought about can my head reach things to hit. Not so much the the plane bits might come find a head. Again, super glad you are ok!

dankozak

Thomas you are right, there was so much luck involved with the outcome. It's hard for me to look at the accident when I realize luck was really the only factor involved in walking away from it. I routinely put someone else in the back of my airplanes there is a tremendous amount of responsibility and trust involved. Simply put there is no room to account for luck in the decision making and it's a pilots responsibility to ensure that level of luck is not needed. This experience has really put me back on my heels, it has forced so much reflection, self doubt, second guessing and the uncomfortable feelings of looking back and picking apart what happened, the things I did wrong and how to make sure it doesn't happen again. I am beyond thankful for the luck and my coworkers and friends at the Alaska Air National Guard who came to pick us up and all of the support of my friends who have kept me afloat since it has happened. It's hard to express how grateful I am for their friendship and their wisdom and the insight they have shared, some have experienced accidents with outcomes worse than this and it's humbling to say the least to listen and reflect. As someone who earns a living with a pilot certificate involving the NTSB, the FAA, and other agencies is a learning process, again to much to cover in a blog post but if I can help shed some light on the process please reach out.

I was using an early Bonehead composites helmet and they work great.

Last edited:

Ak Kurt

Dan, so sorry you had to go thru this. Thank you very much for telling your story, it may help one of us in the future avoid an accident.

Kurt

Snowbirdxx

Looking at the pic you sent, I assume that fuel leaked out of the crossvent tube connections, or the fuel indicators. The xtube connetions are the only ones that do not have space to give when the wings bent. I am now considering connecting them with a loop. The fuel indicator zubes on mine have a restrictor in the lower fitting. It reduces fuel spillage in case or a rupture and give a rocksteady indication.

dankozak

Thomas you are correct, the fuel was running from the crossvent tube connection and down by my left leg just upstream from the fuel shutoff valve. When I shut the valve off I heard a slight reduction in the flow but fuel was still running into the cabin from the area upstream from the valve. I had installed your restrictor valves on the fuel sight gauages, those remained intact and the backseat area was completely free of fuel.