Rudder Pedals setup

Snowbirdxx

The following post is also posted under a different thread.

The rudder linkage on early A1 Huskys was only rigged different.
The brake pedals were inclined way more backwards than necessary. By adjusting ( longer ) the connecting steel rod to make the padals flatter, that problem was solved.
With the pedals pointing backwards a lot, rudder was hard to apply without touching the brakes. And if the shoe size was above 9.5 every rudder movement resulted in braking. Desired or not, there was no option.
As said before , adjusting the pedals flatter solves the problem, but not to full satisfaction.

When raising the foot while braking, the rudder pedal may fold and come backwards with the brake pedals pushed. Which results in no rudder deflection and a completly undefined braking action.

One of the most important items on the Husky checkout is the seating position and "foot on pedal" position. I see very few instructors showing this, which results often in scratches of all size in the paint or prop once the to be checked out candidate flies alone. If he flw a F15 or a B747 before has little effect. Shoesize is more important. In this case size amtters!.

Wrong adjusted pedals and a large footsize lead to small desasters easy, in fractions of a second. Adjust the pedals right, simulate the pedal fold on the ground and get heelpans for a better foot to pedal position if there is no other way to acommodate the foot on the pedals.

The pedal "fold" can be simulated by just pushing a brake pedal forward, without having the foot on the rudder pedal. On ground you may try this by hand. Once in the seat my arms are too short to reach the pedals. The Shimpanse in the near zoo may be more sucessful.
There are a two more points on the rudder system, which are totally neglected by the product improvement of the factory.
Wrong arm / tailwheel arm geometry. Not releasing the trailwheel at full rudder push
Rudder arm not aligned with rudder cable. Looks just terrible on such a nice plane.

Flying the Husky is so easy. But it takes nothing to wreck it, if some type specific issues are not addressed.

David

Thomas,

I agree with you on the above, but, the linkage I have on my Husky #1017, is different from the later models and the brakes would be applied by only applying the rudder (even just using a hand or a stick on the rudder pedal and never, ever, coming close to the brake lever). I will try and take a photo of mine (modified) in the next couple of days and get it to the forum. I will need some help on this, as I have never been able to figure out how to post a photo (dumber than a brick when it comes to making the computer work)
David

Snowbirdxx

David,

I know very early A-1 s had no Primer system and a different parking brake. I know Huskys only well from SN 1057 and up.

David

Mine has no primer. Mine was purchased from the factory by the US Border Patrol. If you look to the left, at my plane, you can see it still has the original Border Patrol Colors. I removed (I actually weighed it) 60 lbs of loud speakers, law enforcement radio gear, and lots of extra wires. They crashed a couple (not mine) early on due to pilot error---such as using 1st or 2nd notch of flaps (not full flaps) and trying to track people at 35-40 MPH indicated while at 50 ft agl. One of them appeared to have encountered his own wake turbulence. Not much room for error correction with only 50 ft above the ground. Plus the pilots were trying to fly them like Supercubs.

I took photos of the part. It is the part that connects the rear brake pedals to the slot in the brake master cylinder. That part is a parallelogram with the smaller parallel side in the slot of the brake cylinder. If you pushed on the rudder about 70+% deflection, the part that fits in the slot binds on the bottom of the slot as the rudder pedal moves forward. Then as you continue to push the rudder pedal, because it is jammed against the bottom of the slot in the brake master cylinder, it forces the master cylinder rod down and applies the brake. If I can load the photo (hopefully with the help of my wife) you will clearly see where we had to notch the bottom of the parallelogram so it would not bind against the bottom of the master cylinder slot. The later models have a different part welded to the rear brake pedal that does not act this way as it is shaped different.
David

David

I finally got how to post these photos figured out. I have attached 3 photos of the above described. I have my finger in two of the photos for size comparison. The notch filed in the rudder pedal to brake master cylinder was not in the original. It was just a straight line from bottom. So you can see as the rudder approached 3/4 travel, the bottom of the bracket would contact the bottom of the master cylinder rod and apply the brake for that side. Bad things then happened when you were not anticipating sudden braking or actual wheel locking. This would happen without ever touching the toe brake. Just activation of the rudder pedal. I had 3 A&P I/As (all tailwheel pilots and mechanics, 2 are 25+ year AG plane mechanics) and they all agreed that it was a design error and they all suggested the below remedy and approved it.

If you buy a very early A1, look for this, especially if there is damage history or a prop strike.
David
PC130171 resize.jpg PC130173 resize.jpg PC130175 resize.jpg

David i don't know if it was the cause but your plane was put on it's nose in Wendover NV when it was being ferried to me in Wyoming back in about 1998.

David

David i don't know if it was the cause but your plane was put on it's nose in Wendover NV when it was being ferried to me in Wyoming back in about 1998.

I saw in the logbooks , Sept of 1998, that it had a prop strike and Gary Loose (Lander, Wyo) reinstalled the engine after a major. I did not know where it occurred or how. I wouldn't doubt one bit that the faulty brake design did put it on its nose. Did this used to be your plane or were you just brokering it for someone?
David

K Borror

Thanks for the pictures and info, that explains what is happening as I’ve had those issues and mine is an early one also. Are you still in Gridley or did you get moved to Idaho. Congrats if you did. Wish I could.

I saw in the logbooks , Sept of 1998, that it had a prop strike and Gary Loose (Lander, Wyo) reinstalled the engine after a major. I did not know where it occurred or how. I wouldn't doubt one bit that the faulty brake design did put it on its nose. Did this used to be your plane or were you just brokering it for someone?
David
It was mine for several years, we really enjoyed it till i got the Helicopter bug. The only damage was to the prop and engine we had to disasemble it in Wendover and trailer it home, i can remimber how excited i was to be getting a Husky until the pilot called and gave me the good news.

David

It was mine for several years, we really enjoyed it till i got the Helicopter bug. The only damage was to the prop and engine we had to disasemble it in Wendover and trailer it home, i can remimber how excited i was to be getting a Husky until the pilot called and gave me the good news.

What a bummer for you. It ended up in San Diego, Ca and was co-owned by a guy who used it to search for swordfish and his pardner who is a tailwheel flight instructor. He said he had too many close calls in it with students so he got a Citabria. His loss was my gain. He let an FAA inspector use it in 2012 and that inspector had a prop strike while doing a fast taxi. He never even got to take off in the Husky. So when I got it, it only had a couple of hundred hours on the engine and prop. I am glad I found out the problem and now it lands, taxis, and takes off like a Citabria. The fix I posted solved all the problems. It is amazing to me, how small the aviation community is; and what interesting histories our planes have. I have had it since June of 2014. BEST PLANE EVER!!!!

If you have any photos of it when you had it, I would love to see them. You can email me at maymar_99@yahoo.com
Thanks,
David

David

Thanks for the pictures and info, that explains what is happening as I’ve had those issues and mine is an early one also. Are you still in Gridley or did you get moved to Idaho. Congrats if you did. Wish I could.

Hi, I follow your adventures here on the forum and have flown over your place several times. I have meant to stop, but every time I have been in a hurry to get somewhere or home. I am still living in Gridley. We purchased a small alfalfa farm on the Snake River between Marsing and Melba, Id. Sold one of our farms (the one that burned to the ground during the Paradise Camp Fire fire, last year) two weeks ago. We have two more to sell and then we are moving to Idaho. We hope to have all of our farming operations moved to Idaho in the next two years. We need to get together sometime soon. I would be glad to help you make the mod on your plane. You could bring it down here if you want. It is really easy so you can do it in your hanger on your strip if you would rather.
Merry Christmas!
David

Ak Kurt

HA HA HA, after a couple trips thru “helicopter rehab” you will be back in a Husky, dont ask me how I know.

Paul Collins

Merry Christmas as well Dave. Where do you live in between Melba and Marsing? I live in Boise, fly out of Caldwell, and have a place down south at the Josephine Ranch. Give me a call sometime and let's chat. 208-861-8257.
Paul Collins
N337DP

David

And a Happy New Year to you Paul. Our farm is 4050 ft north and on the opposite (east) side of the Snake river from Sunrise Skypark airport (ID40). My neighbor has a 2200 x 60 ft runway on top of the east bluff, directly across from sunrise Skypark (you can see it on Google Maps). He also has another one at the same location that is a 550 x 100 ft runway half way up the bluff, just below the cliff. Have to be on your game to land there!
One of my sons lives in Boise and the other son lives in Nampa. We still (unfortunately) live in Northern Calif, but plan on being there in Idaho in two years. We are up in the Treasure Valley often, but usually hauling equipment, etc. and not very often with the Husky. Hopefully will have it up there a lot more this year. I love flying in Idaho. I'll call you in a week when everything here calms down (lots of out of town and out of state guests staying with us. David