Seaplanes North Extended Gear Review

johnaz

I'm thinking about making a project of covering them with fabric and making a removable front and rear fairing equivalent. Removable only to avoid the concerns the FAA may have with welded brackets. I've heard that some of the modern coverings designed for flight surfaces can be heated to drum tightness and come in colors so you don't even need to paint...sounds like a fun project. Perhaps some Adel clamps holding lightweight wood with an aluminum front and rear element followed by glued fabric? Not sure how it would handle the rocks and sticks.
Don't worry abut the front, the rear of fairing is the key to aerodynamics.
John

johnaz

Does anyone know if Aviat now has extended gear that is a retrofit? Is it also 3" forward from stock?
Cost? Fit shock Husky? Anyone have it, report?
Just wondered as I have a friend who is asking. I have extended cub gear with AOSS, but he does not want to spend the $$ for the best.
John

dankozak

Atlee can weld the R2800 ski tabs on the Seaplanes North husky gear while they are in the jig? I remember the Aviat gear with the Aero ski tabs welded on could also run the RF8001 skis. Has anyone bough the Seaplanes North gear with the R2800 ski tabs installed and run the RF8001 skis on them? Any one with R2800 ski gear running the RF8001's?

Last edited:

dankozak

Spoke with Atlee and they will not weld on any ski fittings to extended husky gear legs. Also Aviat does not offer extended gear legs for A-1B, only standard length. So anyone looking for extended husky ski gear must make fabricate them.

Aviat ski attachment tab’s, part number 82249. $3.40 each set.