Some annual questions

tbienz

I will occasionally do my own annuals and then go over it with my IA and alternate this with annuals done by various mechanics as everyone seems to find different things. This year it’s a “self annual year.”
—In going through the ICA, it says that I should confirm the governor set screw is safety wired. Mine is not, nor do I see a way it can be. It has a jamb nut (not drilled) and hasn’t had an issue for 12 years or so, but I was just wondering what other Huskys have.
—I was in the process of putting a new Brackett filter element in when my IA noted “I hate those things”. He claimed in other aircraft going from a Brackett to a paper filter gained at least 1/2 inch or more of MP. He suggested I look into whether a paper filter is available. Anyone else done this? Are they better or just different?
—I removed my MT 210cm prop for overhaul after 12 yrs. Process is going well by report. When putting it back on, where do I find the required torque? Aviat, Lycoming or MT manuals?
—I have always safety wired my brake pad bolts on the Husky (because they have holes allowing for this). My Mitsubishi’s brake pad bolts are not drilled and are therefore not wired (and I’ve never seen one get loose). I asked my IA why the Husky bolts need to be wired but larger planes don’t and he basically suggested that it’s an option on aircraft but not mandatory. I only have a few bolts on the Husky and it’s not difficult to wire them so I’ll likely continue to do so, but has anyone just gone without? Anything fall out?
Thanks.

belloypilot

Hi Thomas.

On the air filter question, I’ve only ever run the Brackett on my Husky but I looked into this extensively years ago for my Bonanza. Aviation Consumer has published a couple good articles on the topic as well. Long story short, nothing filters dust better than a Brackett, but they do have more restriction than other types. Paper filters are less restrictive but pass a bit more dust. More important to me, I know of a couple instances here in Northern Alberta where wet snow conditions have caused them to ice over in flight because they soak up moisture then freeze. Then there’s the K&N (surgical cotton?) style filters which I think are sold under the Challenger brand name. Almost as good filtration as a Brackett but with less restriction. I’m pretty sure I gained 0.3 - 0.4” of MP in my Bonanza with one of those compared to the Brackett but I’d be surprised if you could gain that much in a Husky. Interested what others have to say about that. I’m still running the Brackett on my Husky because I operate in a lot of dusty places. I’ve considered trying the Challenger but not got around to it yet.

Mike

Snowbirdxx

I do not saftey wire the brakes. Most of the bolts on the engine are not wired. Makes no sense to me, never had a loose brake.

Snowbirdxx

Thomas,
when reinstalling the prop, put a new alternator belt on as well. Figure out where Cranckpin #1 is, the starter gear plate has a mark as well. The prop fits with the hole without the recessed bolt. While tightening the bolts, wiggle and support thr spinner dome. Lube the crank front where it slides into the hub and the oring inside the hub., and clean the crankshatf before putting on the prop. There is a lot of leadshluch inside.
To torqe the propbolts, you need a special tool. Once torqued you might not be able to slide the safetywire through the bolts. Open again and slide it in. Now your torquewrench will not fit any more and you just torqe by feel with a regular 3/4 wrench. Therefor you can skip the special torqewrench in the beginning. Just tighten the bolts well.

Bowser

Hi Thomas.

On the air filter question, I’ve only ever run the Brackett on my Husky but I looked into this extensively years ago for my Bonanza. Aviation Consumer has published a couple good articles on the topic as well. Long story short, nothing filters dust better than a Brackett, but they do have more restriction than other types. Paper filters are less restrictive but pass a bit more dust. More important to me, I know of a couple instances here in Northern Alberta where wet snow conditions have caused them to ice over in flight because they soak up moisture then freeze. Then there’s the K&N (surgical cotton?) style filters which I think are sold under the Challenger brand name. Almost as good filtration as a Brackett but with less restriction. I’m pretty sure I gained 0.3 - 0.4” of MP in my Bonanza with one of those compared to the Brackett but I’d be surprised if you could gain that much in a Husky. Interested what others have to say about that. I’m still running the Brackett on my Husky because I operate in a lot of dusty places. I’ve considered trying the Challenger but not got around to it yet.

Mike
I have been running Challenge air filter all seasons for the past 10 years. No negative comments.

tbienz

Thanks for all your responses. Sorry for the delayed response, I was out of the country for a while. Prop should be completed soon.