spinning the husky

denningte

Bob,

Spinning a Husky is not legal.

You would have to ask the test pilot at Aviat about characteristics. I don't know of anyone on the list that has admitted to spinning one.

bumper

No, but there is at least one people on the list who *want* to spin their dog:D. But, rumor has it that they are cowardly.

I accidentally spun my Mooney during private pilot training - - scared the snot out of me. I took spin training in a Cessna after that. I've done aerobatics in my Starduster and Aeronca, both spin and the 'duster did it like a top!

I still remember that Mooney experience. If I came away with anything from that, it's the certain knowledge that you don't want to spin a plane that has questionable spin characteristics . . . not unless you have a spin recovery chute installed etc and don't mind risking loss of the plane or worse.

But, if the reason in not allowing spinning the dog is just some dumb decision predicated on liability concerns, that would be a shame. Bottom line, unless someone knows it can be done safely, I woudn't even contemplate doing it.

bumper

Snowbirdxx

I had to spin the Husky during RF8001 ski certification.
First it is hard to get it to spin. The spin is very steep and takes a good turn to stop. Speed build up is dramatic. With the Aviat elevator deflections as outlined in the FAA TCDS, it is almost impossible to spin it. Only on the edge of the envelope and only whn forced in.
I would say NOT RECOMMENDED!

I only spun it the required 3 turns, as you should be aware of, spin charackteristic very often change after turn #3, something I do not wnat to do in the Husky. All exit speeds were between Vne and Vd.

TomD

TomD

mvivion

Thomas' description of the Husky spin is pretty much my experience, from one inadvertent spin, entered on a training flight. We were pushing the airplane hard, trying to see if it would turn loose in a cross control, and once (and only once) it did. One full turn and it recovered in about a half turn, but as Thomas says, it was smoking straight down during the recovery. "Pull VERY carefully" over the intercom.... The entry, though, was pretty conventional, and we didn't wait for the spin to develop.

Mark Heiner, who was the test pilot for Aviat for many years did many spins in the Husky for certification, and his assessment of the spin characteristics were that it was very hard to GET to spin, spin recovery in the first two turns was conventional, and it accelerated "smartly" upon recovery.

It is, as noted earlier, not approved for intentional spins, and I don't recommend spinning ANY airplane unless it is indeed CERTIFIED for spins. Even then, I'm pretty cautious about spins.

For a really good read on Stall Spin Awareness, get a copy of Rich Stowell's book of the same name. You can order it here: http://www.richstowell.com/

I HIGHLY recommend any pilot to read this book. There is one chapter in the book that describes the NASA experiments with G.A. aircraft spin characteristics, and that alone is worth the price of the book.

This book should be required reading for anyone working an airplane close to the ground.

Mike

PapaZulu

My Husky instructor is also an aerobatic performer with a Pitts. Two years ago he and I did some spin recovery training in his Pitts. It was an invaluable lesson and one I will never forget.

Frank