Stock Exhaust - 2001 A-1B Issues

John Young

I’m having exhaust issues that I wanted to put in front of the group for comments…it’s a bit puzzling. I’ve read through several threads about the standard exhaust, no flame tubes, Power Flow, etc. and am trying to decide which direction to go here. Apologize for the longer post…but this has been quite the dilemma and I wanted to share what I‘ve found with the group.

I had a very strange exhaust noise that was very rhythmic and consistent…first thought it might be an exhaust leak…but when I uncowled it and ran it I confirmed it was coming through the exhaust system. Since I verified it wasn’t a gasket leak I went further with an IA…I’m an A&P myself…but just do maintenance on my aircraft.

We verified the following:
- Backflow checked the gaskets…no leaks
- Boroscoped the exhaust…couldn’t get a good picture with a lower end boroscope.
- Boroscoped the cylinders…all looks good.
- Compression Checks…all good normal leakage around the rings…none from the exhaust or intake valves.
- Checked valve backlash…all within limits.
- Removed, cleaned and checked the lifters…all in good shape.
- Checked the travel on the pushrods to see if the cam was going…all in good shape with consistent measurements.
- Borescoped the exhaust with a higher end more flexible borescope…found deteriorizaiton of the baffles.

This is where it gets interesting:
I touched base with AWI in Minneapolis…great conversation and what seemed like sound advice. As a note, most if not all of the other exhaust overhaul/welding companies, Acorn and others, have been bought up by AWI. They recommended I pull the entire exhaust (muffler, shroud, tube) and send it to them…they said that most exhaust overhauls come in at about $1,900…and I’d basically be getting back a new exhaust as they also manufacture the exhausts for Aviat...they would also incorporate any upgrades. My IA and I inspected/consulted and came to the conclusion that the shroud and down tubes were all in good shape. So I pulled the exhaust stack to send it in for inspection/overhaul to AWI.

What I found when I removed the exhaust was surprising. I found a round disk lodged in my #2 exhaust tube coming from the muffler blocking off about 90% of the exhaust flow. It was most likely the sound I heard from the engine. Keep in mind that doing a normal annual the exhaust would have passed had it not been for the noise and the deteriorated baffles wouldn’t have even been discovered. Here’s what I discovered and what happened next

- I went back in the records and discovered the #2 down tube had been replace and the exhaust fully overhauled by AWI just prior to my purchase…a little over 500 hours ago.
- AWI came back and said the round disk was most likely from the end of one of the exhaust baffles and that it is common for them to come loose and just fall out of the exhaust tube. I’m kind of scratching my head on this one…not sure how it would work its way into an exhaust tube opposite of exhaust flow. They also asked that I send the shroud and downtubes in and they would do the complete overhaul.
- Going off of what I was told earlier concerning cost I decided to follow that advice.
- I did ask if they would rebuild it without the baffles and they declined to do that. I understand the logic in this if it’s not covered by TC or STC...but based on some of the comments in here I wanted to ask anyway.

I just received the estimate back on Friday. They now say most of the system needs overhaul/replacement including down tubes, slip joints, and rebuild of the exhaust. Also, they are insisting on doing an Aviat design modification for rubbing problems that moves the muffler back 1/2”. As far as I can tell…I have no rubbing issues.

New rebuild estimate: $3,500!

As you can imagine I’m not very happy right now and considering my options. I’m not keen on spending near that kind of money for an exhaust overhaul that won’t even last 500 hours. I feel like I was lead down a path that wasn’t represented well at all. I see the Power Flow debate with varying opinions, results and concerns. I also feel like this is a direct result of all the other welding houses being bought up by one entity. BTW…AWI is owned by Hartzel that’s now owned by an investment firm.

Thoughts on this? IMG_1638.jpeg IMG_1637.jpeg IMG_1632.jpeg

Last edited:

Snowbirdxx

John,

to make a long story short. You are getting ripped off and for good money you will recieve junk.
Thats why I have no flame tubes. All that sh...t happening to you happens all the time, except if you remove the crab.

MAny pilots tend to install junk , just because it is expensive and certified and then it fails

John Young

Thanks Thomas…sure feeling that way. Is there a way to remove the remainder of the baffle without opening up the can? My gut feel is to have them send it back and put it back on…the baffle issue seem to be taking care of itself through time.

Snowbirdxx

You have to Cut IT Up with a thin disc about 2" away from the left Side end. Then remove all the carb INSIDE and weld.it together again
Every good TIG welder can do that. Piper Had Special protection INSIDE the exhaust, so IT can Not BE blocked by broken flametubes.
My exhaust is Trouble free since 2000 HRS plus.

Last edited:

airplanebrad

AWI does great work. I want to say the last one they did for me was 1900 or less. Stick to your guns. Say you’re not paying more than that. If not, get it back and repair it. Cut that baffle out and tig it back up. Im
Interested also in knowing what you normally run your hottest EGT in cruise. Thanks man, and good luck!

John Young

AWI does great work. I want to say the last one they did for me was 1900 or less. Stick to your guns. Say you’re not paying more than that. If not, get it back and repair it. Cut that baffle out and tig it back up. Im
Interested also in knowing what you normally run your hottest EGT in cruise. Thanks man, and good luck!
Thanks Brad…good to hear from you! I’m planning on calling in the morning and will let you guys know. Trying to get this back together before the eclipse watching down in Arkansas. There are a bunch of folks gather out on the river for the show…you should join us.

John Young

You have to Cut IT Up with a think disc about 2" away from the left Side end. Then remove all the carbs INSIDE and weld.it together again
Erery good TIG welded can do that. Pipier Had Special protection INSIDE the exhaust, so IT can Not BE blocked by flametubes.
My exhaust is Trouble free since 2000 HRS plus.
Thanks Thomas…we’ll see what happens with my conversations.

David

I had the same thing happen to my A1. I did like Thomas said and cut it open with a thin disc and removed all the flame tubes. No more worries about them coming apart and plugging the exhaust at the most in opportune time. I am a pretty good welder, but I just took it to a certified welder after removing everything and had him TIG it up. Looked great! Reinstalled it and it has run that way for years. Butt dyno says I actually get more power from the engine.
David

John Young

I had the same thing happen to my A1. I did like Thomas said and cut it open with a thin disc and removed all the flame tubes. No more worries about them coming apart and plugging the exhaust at the most in opportune time. I am a pretty good welder, but I just took it to a certified welder after removing everything and had him TIG it up. Looked great! Reinstalled it and it has run that way for years. Butt dyno says I actually get more power from the engine.
David
Thanks David, appreciate the input.

I’m having the entire exhaust returned as-is…it’s been a frustrating process of miscommunication which is acknowledged by AWI. Hats off to them that they owned up to some of that. I have no doubt they do excellent work and don’t want to discount that in this conversation.

I also priced out a brand new exhaust from Aviat for comparison…it comes in at just over $3K…which makes this whole process a bit more frustrating. AWI actually manufactures the exhaust for Aviat.

Bottom line appears to be this…

- Overhaul from AWI is upwards of around $3.5K.
- New exhaust from Aviat is right at $3K.
- From my experience the baffles wear out extremely fast which really makes me not want to invest in a new or overhauled exhaust…especially for a design that causes problems.

The mystery of how a stainless steal disc goes backward through an exhaust tube will remain just that…a mystery.

Appreciate everyone’s input…hopefully having it documented here will help others!

Bowser

I own an A1 180 and the average for flame tubes repair as been 600hrs. The tech doing the fix says not much the heat but bad harmonics / pressure differential vibs created by the gas traveling through the maze. Good idea to drop the can on annual and shake for metallic noise.