Suggested Route northern Ca to Afton Wy

bumper

Greg,

Just head over in my direction, follow 50 east over Placerville, South Lake Tahoe and then to Minden. You've just crossed the big mountains. Now Nevada is one little mountain range after another, but they are all small and there's lots of good places to land (well, maybe not so much in the winter), but it's all doable generally following Hwy 80, Elko, then Afton.

It's a pretty flight, lots of wide open spaces, good to have an InReach for a lot of the flying in Nevada - - just in case.

tbienz

I always keep a hiking bed roll, sleeping bag some food and small tent in the Husky when traveling the winter months. If forced down you could last weeks as long as you have shelter and snow. My pick vs the InReach is a Sat phone and PLB but just have something.
As to the route, pick what looks interesting to you, the Husky will clear what terrain we have in the lower 48. Fly low, it makes for a far more memorable journey.
Have fun!

Paul Collins

Going to Minden as per Bumper is a good start. From there I would go north to Winemmucca and then decide whether to go north to Boise, and then east along the Snake River to Pocatello and then to AFton,
or
go east/north from Winemmucca to Twin Falls and then Pocatello and then to Afton.
Depends on weather.
Thomas' suggestions about gear are spot on - been there, done that.
Paul Collins
N337DP

trapper

I have done the flight many times. I usually fly to Jackpot Nevada and fuel up and get a bite to eat. From there I just go direct to wherever I desire. Easy flight and lots to see. There is one large mine on the way as well.

trapper

There are several great Husky mechanics locally that do great work if you dont want to fly to the factory. Be careful they dont Swiss Cheese your Husky during the annual. I know of one that had a lot of inspection holes opened up a year after it was built for some unknown reason.