Switching Gear Legs to Factory Extended Gear

Clifford

I've decided to switch from the standard gear to extended. I got a quote from Aviat and their lead times are quite long and the prices have gone up from when I was last aware. At any rate, Aviat is offering 2 options: with step and without step.
My inclination is to go without step. But I thought I'd run it by folks that have the extended gear and hear from those with actual experience.

My intent is to go with the extended gear with fairings.
Thanks in advance for your input

Snowbirdxx

I see the step necessary if you fly with :

wheel replacement skis,
or you are disabled.

The tire is a good help to get in.

And yes 3" matter, the plane sits more stable on groundwith the wider gear.

nightflyer

I have the extended gear with no step and I haven’t had any issues getting in and out. I do have 29 inch Bushwheels though. 9AEAD630-06EA-4575-8220-5C17037D7925.jpeg

sabaku

I've decided to switch from the standard gear to extended. I got a quote from Aviat and their lead times are quite long and the prices have gone up from when I was last aware. At any rate, Aviat is offering 2 options: with step and without step.
My inclination is to go without step. But I thought I'd run it by folks that have the extended gear and hear from those with actual experience.

My intent is to go with the extended gear with fairings.
Thanks in advance for your input
Have the step and does make egress much easier, one foot on the bushwheel and one on the step.

Clifford

Thanks a bunch for the input! I'm going with no step. I'm 6'2" and haven't had any issues ingress or egress; just step on the tire and put your butt on the door sill.
And thanks for the added input Thomas. Yes, one of my primary reasons for going this route is stability. On our last trip we hit the tail end of monsoon season in Arizona / southern Utah and ran into some strong winds. Ground ops were interesting; emphasized what we were taught; fly the airplane until it is securely tied down.

There seems to be some confusion at the factory about fairings. Are there longer fairings available (no step) ? Does one use the standard fairings and if so what makes up the difference for the added length?

Don

I’m curious what the factory quoted for the conversion? Seaplanes North recently quoted me $6,150.

Gust Kalatzes

I opted not to install the step. Fantastic stability, about 1 lb lighter and gets the prop a little higher out of the dirt.

jhickstx

I have the factory extended gear, uncovered with 29" ABW. Getting in, I step on the tire but the cross brace on the uncovered gear can be used as a step getting out. I really like this setup.

. IMG_8094.jpeg

jhickstx

I bet you would gain about 5 mph with fairings. They make a big difference in speed.
John
Not worried about speed! :) Last airplane I had with covered gear some yokle thought they could step on the fairings and cracked the paint.!!

trapper

How long is the lead time and cost? I want to upgrade my panel so it makes sense to do both at the same time. Insurance on my F1EVO is up to $5500 a year now so I am thinking of just getting back to one bird and upgrading my Husky

Clifford

How long is the lead time and cost? I want to upgrade my panel so it makes sense to do both at the same time. Insurance on my F1EVO is up to $5500 a year now so I am thinking of just getting back to one bird and upgrading my Husky
Here's the quote from Aviat:
There are two types of extended landing gear.

There is the no step gear. Kit A-1C-159R $5501.08 8-12 week manufacturing lead time

There is the gear with a step, Kit A-1C-159WS $6418.65 12-16 week manufacturing lead time.

The kits do not include the hardware.
A-1C-159R does not include the extended gear fairing. Will need to purchase separately.
A-1C-159WS comes with the cover fairing related to the step gear.
Prices are good for 30 days only and do not include shipping costs.

I haven't got word from them yet on the fairing for the no-step gear. And I'm not sure yet what all is included in the kit. Janette did say that new hardware is not included. I assume new new bungees and longer brake lines are needed and I'd go with ss braided teflon lines. So there is some sorting out before I place the order.

Snowbirdxx

Clifford,

you need to use new bolts. Bungees and you need a new safety cable, although I think its useless, I always leave it off.

Cubrath

Is the extended gear option only available for the later model husky or can any SN be converted? Just bought a 2007 and I would like to convert mine.

Clifford

Here's the quote from Aviat:
There are two types of extended landing gear.

There is the no step gear. Kit A-1C-159R $5501.08 8-12 week manufacturing lead time

There is the gear with a step, Kit A-1C-159WS $6418.65 12-16 week manufacturing lead time.

The kits do not include the hardware.
A-1C-159R does not include the extended gear fairing. Will need to purchase separately.
A-1C-159WS comes with the cover fairing related to the step gear.
Prices are good for 30 days only and do not include shipping costs.

I haven't got word from them yet on the fairing for the no-step gear. And I'm not sure yet what all is included in the kit. Janette did say that new hardware is not included. I assume new new bungees and longer brake lines are needed and I'd go with ss braided teflon lines. So there is some sorting out before I place the order.
Got more info from Aviat. The rest of the story:
"Here is the list of items you will need to purchase besides what will come in the kit.
  1. 35346-003 Landing gear cover $351.69
35346-008 Landing gear cover $586.18

35347-002 Filler (need qty. 2) $38.45 each

1. We can paint the color of your aircraft.
  1. Here is the list of hardware.
52625 bolt $6.30 each Need qty. 4

54450 nut $3.15 each Need qty 4

55750 cotter pin $0.05 each Need qty 4

58790 Washer $0.11 each Need qty. 4

1. New extended brake lines come in the kit. Aviat cannot provide the lines as you have requested. Dimensions and specs are not given out. It is proprietary.
  1. New bungees will come with the kit. I do recommend getting the bungee tool to install the bungees. It is part number T-1280 and priced at $250.00."

Ak Kurt

Is the extended gear option only available for the later model husky or can any SN be converted? Just bought a 2007 and I would like to convert mine.
For your airplane use the Seaplanes North/Attlee Dodge gear, the Aviat gear is not available for your airplane as far as I know.