Tall guy questions

bjan11

Hey folks,

Long time reader. I've been a pilot for a few years and always wanted to do a bit more backcountry flying. I'm currently in a partnership in a 180 near Seattle that's on wheels in winter and floats in summer. Love the float flying. Haven't done much on wheels, partly because most of the backcountry / camping strips are closed or not ideal for camping in the winter. Long time I'd love to own a Husky with the PK amphibs.

Questions:

* I'm 6'4" and 260 lb. Am I likely to fit into an A1-B Husky? I can fit into a Top Cub (did my tailwheel at TacAero in Hood River), although it's pretty snug. Apparently the A1-C has an adjustable seat, but A1-Cs are a lot more expensive on Trade a Plane.
* I've read that there is a heel pan mod for more foot/leg room. If I get heel pans installed, can they be blocked off with something to accomodate a shorter pilot? My girlfrend is also a pilot.
* How does docking work on a plane with only one door? You just always have to dock on one side?

Thanks!
Bruce

Kent Wien

Hi Bruce,

I’m 6’ and considered the heel pans, but found I didn’t really need them. My girlfriend, also a pilot is 5’ 8” and she absolutely didn’t want the heel pans. They could work well for you. But you’d want to check with how she liked them.

Only the 2018 and later C model Husky has the adjustable front seat.

Kent

groshel

Bruce,

I’m 6’3” and 175...long waisted (torso) with a 10.5 shoe.

My shins were close to the panel lower edge and I had a tendency to pressure the toe brakes until I put the heel pans in. Made the plane a lot more comfortable for me and stopped the toe brake touching /pressure thing.

The pans are about 2.5” deep. Didn’t need that much so I used a 1.5” thick filler block of balsa wood that velcros to the bottom of the pan and then used a 1/4” thick piece if aluminum honeycomb panel velcroed on top of the balsa.

That gives me about a 1” drop on my heels and works perfectly.

groshel

Also, maybe more of a problem...I fly with a heavier jacket in the winter and find the bulk noticeable. Not that it interferes much but I'm skinny..you at 260# might feel a little tight. Headroom isn’t a problem

On my earlier post..since the balsa filler is removable in the heel pan it can be changed out to suit.

BTW...Mine’s a 2000 A-1B.with Oregon Aero

Chris

tbienz

Mine has pans. I’m 5’11.5”/182#/10.5 shoe and I have not found them to be a problem at all. When I want a different leg position I put my heels in them. If I don’t it’s easy to set your feet slightly sideways and don’t use them. I have found that I use them mostly on long cruises where I need a different leg position. When I’m taking off and landing in backcountry situations I don’t use them but they don’t get in the way either.
I can’t comment on the door/float question as I’ve never flown floats. I know the Husky can be had with a reversible prop for water ops. Seems very functional but expensive.

Snowbirdxx

I have heelpans and have covers for them on board in case Ulla is flying. They stay in place with velcro. I second all thomasb stated above.

I am 6' 2", and have heel pans from Thomas...made an enormous difference in comfort, and kept my size 13 feet off the brakes.

Change you mind? Simply cover with a plate.

D

HubbaBubba

I am 6'-4" 250#ish, long torso and find the A1-B feels a bit more snug than the Top Cub that I also fly. The main reason is this one is IFR and the center stack hangs down in the middle. The seats in the Husky are a bit more comfortable, I have the floor pans but haven't gotten them installed yet, I think they will help with keeping my size 14 feet better aligned. I haven't done much docking, but with the 180 as single pilot you're probably only getting out of the one side anyway, the opposite one......I just learned to walk the tight rope between the floats quickly.

bjan11

My girlfriend is also a sailor and she is great at hopping out the right side to cleat off on the dock :)

That reminds me. How roomy is the back seat in an A1-B?

johnaz

My girlfriend is also a sailor and she is great at hopping out the right side to cleat off on the dock :)

That reminds me. How roomy is the back seat in an A1-B?
Very nice back seat, but harder to get in and out than front. Once in great/roomy.
I have one 2018 with the adjustable seat, makes a big difference for in and out in back as seat back folds forward. And for tall guys the pilot seat as it goes back also goes down.
I am only 5'11", so older A1 I have is fine for me, but do like the adjustable seat features.
John

VictorBravo

I am 5'8" and have the heel pans. I've never had a problem nor have I ever considered filling them in with anything, but that's the way the aircraft came so I've just made do with what I had.

As for float operations with only one door, I do my best to always try to arrive with the dock on my right side, but on occasion you get to demonstrate your best circus stunt act.....mixture, mags, master, jump out onto the float, wait for prop to stop, schimmy across the guy wire on the front of the floats and hope you get to the other side in time to grab the dock! I also have a beta prop, which is very useful in slowing things down, but have never been bold enough to try to back into the dock with it.

Brian

VictorBravo

Now, departing the dock from the opposite side on a windy day presents its' own challenges and under the right conditions can be next to impossible without someone to hold the aircraft in place. The degree of difficulty goes up when you have to cross the guy wire, climb into the plane and then get it fired up, all before you have drifted away and into someplace you don't want to be. Throw in the potential for a hot start problem and you do need to be strategic in whether you want to launch or not.

MikeMag

Hello, I just purchased a 2007 A-1B and I'm new to the group. After flying the Husky yesterday for the first time, at 6' 2" with size 11 shoes, I'm finding my left knee is uncomfortably close to the prop and mixture controls, to the point I have to intentionally keep my knee from hitting when either control is extended out a bit. I really like the idea of heel pans and wondering where to purchase? Also, the seats in my Husky appear to be very thick (with custom leather coverings) and I'm wondering if Aviat made different thickness cushions for the A-1B? And if so, if they are still available aftermarket? Thanks for any info and I hope my questions are not too far off topic from the original post.

Snowbirdxx

Mike, Aviat made 3 different cushions before they switched to Oregon Aero Chshions. I make the heelpans. Please contact me by email thomaspdietrich att geemail dott com HAve fun with this super light brid.

joemcd

Mike,
Welcome! I have a set of stock seat covers in my hangar that you are welcome to try. I think heel pans would work well for you too.
Your friend,
Joe

MikeMag

Mike, Aviat made 3 different cushions before they switched to Oregon Aero Chshions. I make the heelpans. Please contact me by email thomaspdietrich att geemail dott com HAve fun with this super light brid.
Thomas, Thank you for the information on the seats and the heel pans. I'm going to try smaller seat cushions first and if still uncomfortable I will be calling you about ordering the heel pans. Thanks, Mike!

MikeMag

Mike,
Welcome! I have a set of stock seat covers in my hangar that you are welcome to try. I think heel pans would work well for you too.
Your friend,
Joe
Hi Joe, I got your message earlier and, yes, let's talk about the stock seat cushions, etc. Thanks, Mike

Ksmith

Mike
I'm your height but have a 36.5" inseam and size 12's, Could not even get in a Husky when I looked at them. Learned about seat thickness on this site, on picking up Husky #1 had to pull seat back out and throw it in the luggage compartment to fly it home. Had Oregon Arrow fix the seat back, then put in heal pans. On #2 with short panel, just had the seat cushion replaced with the "thin" version and added a wedge under seat raising back of bottom cushion 2" this helps a lot. I'm on Husky #3 now and have an IFR panel (taller) did the thinner cushion and wedge, then discovered Driving Shoes, the ones where the sole goes up the back of the heal, this eliminates the part of the sole that sticks out the back past your heel. Have to change to hiking boots after landing when camping, but very comfy.

MikeMag

Kerry, glad to hear you made it work for you. I used to fly Husky's about 15 years ago and I know I haven't gotten any taller since then. Thankfully there's still some room width wise. This one I just picked up has the IFR panel, but it also has what appear to be custom (thick cushion seats). My friend Joe has a pair of the original standard cushions that I'm going to try and the driving shoes are a great idea as after looking at the trail shoes I was wearing, I now see that they had about an inch of cushioned heal. I'm expecting these two changes will do the trick. Curious though about the seat wedge, was this to give better visibility over the panel or did it also help with seat ergonomics? Thanks, Mike