Too much wind to taxi?

Gust Kalatzes

Aviat gear is 2 inches taller as measured from the front of the gear to the ground give or take new V's old tires with same PSI and tail height difference...one with Tom D spring and the other with AB tail spring.

Aviat gear is also 2 inches further forward as measured from the front of the tires...again give or take new V's old tires.

Both are 71 inches from inside rotor to inside rotor as they sit.

No precision here but close!

No question the Alaska gear is more robust. The Aviat gear is covered which I like.

tbienz

Good info...I guess you pick your poison. Better to have a gear failure/partial gear failure in the field but save the longeron? Or then have it so robust that when you finally do break the plane the gear doesn’t fail but the longeron does. I wonder if it’s somewhat of an optical illusion, but when I saw mine next to Kerry’s with the extended gear on his and Alaska gear on mine, mine looked wider, his looked taller...perhaps I need new bungees!

Gust Kalatzes

Good info...I guess you pick your poison. Better to have a gear failure/partial gear failure in the field but save the longeron? Or then have it so robust that when you finally do break the plane the gear doesn’t fail but the longeron does. I wonder if it’s somewhat of an optical illusion, but when I saw mine next to Kerry’s with the extended gear on his and Alaska gear on mine, mine looked wider, his looked taller...perhaps I need new bungees!

Thomas agreed. I feel if you don’t have enough suspension (bungees) to take a hard landing it will take it out on the gear or airframe also. What’s on mine is too soft now and struggles to hold up the weight of the plane. Lands nice but i don’t want it hitting the cable stops easily either.

Snowbirdxx

BTW safety cables. I never saw a bungee fail. But often saw the safety cable doing damage to the structure. On gears without the cables and bad landings, the only damage was bent panels.