Total Energy consideration

HammerinHank

Point taken about 55 MPH. In my old A1 it does work with what short stuff I do. And this is sea level terrain with ambient temperatures more of a consideration for density altitude. And it is light on weight!

With higher altitudes and hot temperatures it makes sense to get a feel for the aircraft like Tom says before embarrassment or worse. Altitude flying brings a different outlook.

Tom, I think your English is much better than my German, probably better than my English! I respect those that have multiple languages.

NevadaGwen

Tomorrow morning I plan to fly to a small playa in the hills near Pyramid Lake. It's about 800 ft long, with about 500 usable (depending on current cow conditions), and about 200 wide. It's in a basin, so the ground slopes up in all directions; up very very steeply along the sides (so a landing in the 200 ft direction isn't wise). With a fairly wet spring this year, lotsa cows left footprints when the playa was wet, so the ride is a bit rough. But the prints make for good visual depth perception reference.

The McCall folks did not teach "land on the very beginning of the runway," but rather "pick a smart landing spot and land exactly there at exactly the right speed" which I think is wise. In a Husky, if you put the airplane exactly where you want, on speed, you'll be stopping in 200-300 feet.