Trailering Tips?

CoupleofPilots

Hey all, I'm working on getting our machine home after my partner's bad day. Need to bring an A1-B home about 850 miles. I'm looking at options, leaning toward renting a moving truck, removing the wings, horizontal stab & elevator, and loading it up. Will have three or four people to help with the labor. Any tips or lessons learned from disassembly/trailering? Thanks in advance.

Ken

Snowbirdxx

To remove the wing:

Disconnect controlcables under rearstick and over the pilotshead, lower cables stqy on the wing. Disconnect all electric cables and fuel lines, they are best cut and replaved during reassembly. remove rear strut. Whwn removing front strut bolts, replace them with screwdrivers. This way they can be pulled easy. Disconnect flap cable in the wing. Airplane will stand with one wing on and the front srut only.

Disconnect trim cables on top of the battery at the spring. The hooked spring is enough, no need for the bolted spring. Now disconnect elevator pushrod and trim horns. Then with the elevatord paddeling free, remove the top struts and hinges, one at a time. Remove horizontal stab.

Kent Wien

There is a company out there that Aviat uses who specialize in bringing Huskies from all over to them. Sorry, I don’t know the name but someone at Aviat would.

jliltd

If you opt to do an open flat bed trailer, make sure to have the nose of the aircraft pointed forward. That is how the aircraft is designed to take the wind stream. It was not designed to travel backwards in the wind stream and I have seen air damage done to tube and fabric aircraft that were hauled tail first on an open trailer.

FlyingDog

Try to rent/borrow an enclosed car hauler trailer. You will be glad you did. If you can get a wood interior secure the parts with straps and Sheetrock screws into the wood. I’ve moved projects and kept all the pieces.

CoupleofPilots

Try to rent/borrow an enclosed car hauler trailer. You will be glad you did. If you can get a wood interior secure the parts with straps and Sheetrock screws into the wood. I’ve moved projects and kept all the pieces.
Thanks, that's what we're leaning toward right now.
If you opt to do an open flat bed trailer, make sure to have the nose of the aircraft pointed forward. That is how the aircraft is designed to take the wind stream. It was not designed to travel backwards in the wind stream and I have seen air damage done to tube and fabric aircraft that were hauled tail first on an open trailer.
Understood - certainly won't do that!
To remove the wing:

Disconnect controlcables under rearstick and over the pilotshead, lower cables stqy on the wing. Disconnect all electric cables and fuel lines, they are best cut and replaved during reassembly. remove rear strut. Whwn removing front strut bolts, replace them with screwdrivers. This way they can be pulled easy. Disconnect flap cable in the wing. Airplane will stand with one wing on and the front srut only.

Disconnect trim cables on top of the battery at the spring. The hooked spring is enough, no need for the bolted spring. Now disconnect elevator pushrod and trim horns. Then with the elevatord paddeling free, remove the top struts and hinges, one at a time. Remove horizontal stab.
Thanks, this dovetails with the advice we got from Aviat - we'll give it a go.

CoupleofPilots

Update - Penske came through for us. Not enough clearance with the wheels on so they improvised.

Attachments

• IMG_20230725_121714.jpg
    IMG_20230725_121714.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 50