Trip to Jonathan

Snowbirdxx

ApprAlps.jpg Timmelsjoch.jpg
Karrerpass.jpg Schlern.jpg Rosengarten.jpg Karrerpass.jpg Friday we flew to Jonathan, a small strip on an island on the river Piave in northern Italy. Wind was a 10 KT tailwind, smooth ride and good visibility. Returning on Sunday morning the wind had changed to a 60 Kt headwind in 9000ft with severe turbulence reported.
I flew low in the valleys trying to make ground north. But or Lab Gina was in the back and turbulences even low were pretty strong, so we landed in Sarentino. When entering the valley I did 80 mph groundspeed, when starting the approach about 2 NM later at the church the GS showed 45mph gradually decreasing to 20 as I descended.
I approached without flaps, the AOA had all lights blinking and the stallwarning sounded like a sonate of Rachmaninoff. Usually this approach is flown with 20 flaps and just above idle. Sunday often full power was needed. Airspeed fluctuated by 30 mph and more and the gusts moved us horizontally up to 100 ft.
After landing we decided to take the car home. The 6 hr dive sucked. But I guess the Husky experienced one more time its limits.

The vid attached was made by Darren Fern without wind two years ago. Thanks Darren.
ApprAlps.jpg

Last edited:

Snowbirdxx

Its connected to the second oilcooler. The first one is beside the starter. The one connected to the NACA has a shutter and is closed except for hot days. Never see more than 176 °F

tbienz

Don’t you WANT more than 176 degrees? I always thought 180 was the minimum you want to see. But I have no science to back that up, I’ve just been told that moisture in the oil will not gas off sufficiently if you keep your oil cool.

dogday

Thomas B.

I always adjust my oil cooling shutter for a minimum of 180 degF. I think Lycoming says 165 degF is OK for a minimum. During the winter with the oil cooling shutter closed, I sometimes see 160 degF at cruise when it is below zero. Moisture will still off gas at the lower temperatures; however, it does so slower. If the majority of my flying is over an hour in duration at cruise, I think even the low temp of 160 degF will still cook the moisture out of the oil. Some localized areas of the engine internals are still plenty hot to off gas the water when the average oil temp is 160 degF. When it is really cold outside, I do not practice landings or anything that might cause more moisture than what I think the 160 degF oil can off gas. For the max temp, I target for less than 200 degF; however, I have no concerns up to 210 degF. On rare occasions I see 215, I typically reduce my power a bit to make 210 my max.

Regards,
Craig

Snowbirdxx

I installed my second cooler whith my old engine, where oiltemps went high because of a bad seat of the vernatherm. On the engine I am Using now, the temp stays after 10 min flight at 170 to 176 with the second closed. On hot summer days and slow climbs in the mountains 185. Flying in the minus degrees the oiltemp stays at 175. If on really cold days my temp would be too low I could cover the first cooler and control temps if needed with the second one.

David

Beautiful post. Photos are stunning. Good write-up.

I was thinking of installing a NACA vent exactly where you did to feed my original oil cooler. My #3 cylinder averages 35-50 degrees F hotter than the other cylinders due to the oil cooler air intake being right above/behind that cylinder. I am just wondering if I would need a 337 or if this would be considered a minor repair/log entry?
David

Snowbirdxx

David
You need to put a spacer between the baffling of #3 and the cylinder. Then there is room for cooling aor to flow though.
The oilcooler hole barely affercts cht3. Tried that all.

tbienz

If you want to go this route, the Aviat factory will sell you the upper rear baffle piece that allows for that channel. Apparently the 200hp Husky aircraft come with it but not the older planes. I bought one from them but haven’t installed it yet. I’ll plan on getting it on before summer comes and the heat becomes an issue again. It seems very well constructed and comes with the flexible upper baffles already installed.