Upset Recovery

dogday

I am thinking about getting some additional training and thought that renting an appropriate aircraft, with instructor, for upset recovery training would be beneficial. Spins are prohibited with the Husky, so renting is my only option for training/practicing many types of upsets.

I would appreciate some recommendations for upset recovery training. I live in Big Lake, Alaska which is close to Anchorage so anything between Kenai and Talkeetna would work. I looked on the internet and did not find anyone in the area for this type of training. There used to be a gent at the Willow airport; however, I believe he is no longer involved with upset recovery training. Taking a commercial flight Washington or California would be acceptable provided I can find a good place to go and not have to blindly pick a facility off the web. I would even consider other locations if one company stands out as the best for this type of training.

So what have others thought about upset recovery training and how good and where was the program?

Regards,
Craig

C-172 is utility category airplane and spin-able. Find a good local instructor that will spin the airplane. Dave B.

belloypilot

In late October I took upset recovery training with these folks:

https://www.apstraining.com/

Can’t recommend them enough. This is what they do, and they do it well. Not cheap but, like most things, you get what you pay for. The training is done in an Extra 300. You can add on some aerobatics training if you want. This is much more than spin training. They put you through just about every conceivable situation you can imagine and show you a simple procedure sequence to get out of it. Nothing like any kind of flight school spin training I’ve ever seen. They video all the time in the aircraft so you have a great record of your training. Here are a few clips:

PM me if you want more information.

Mike

Meadowlark

Rich Stowell in Santa Paula, CA..... Emergency Maneuver Training..... I flew with him in CA in a Citabria and a Decathalon. Also, he came to Montana and flew with me in my Husky. In the Summertime, Rich teaches out of McCall, ID. Rich teaches much more than just how to recover from a spin. A lot about aircraft control surfaces and aerodynamics are taught. There is also a lady in Helena, MT who teaches the EMT course. Her name is Jeannie McPhearson.

The lessons Rich taught me saved my life.

J/C GTF

MTV

CP Aviation in Santa Paula, CA. This is where Rich Stowell operated as JC noted above. Rich is the best, in my opinion. I've flown with him several times, in aerobatic aircraft and in Husky.

CP Aviation kind of followed up with Rich's program in Santa Paula when he moved to Idaho. According to Rich's web site, he's not actively flight training at this point.

And, CP is a very well organized outfit, with good instructors, located on a fantastic little gem of an airport about 60 miles north of LA. I'd recommend them now that Rich isn't actively training at the moment.

In any case, go to Rich's web site here: https://www.richstowell.com/, and order this book: "Emergency Maneuver Training". That book will go a long way to helping you better understand the dynamics of spins and recovery from unusual attitudes.

MTV

dogday

Thanks for all of the comments / recommendations. I will most likely go to CP Aviation in Santa Paula, CA because of the positive reviews I have read above and that it is about an hour away from my sister-in-law/brother-in-laws house. My wife will enjoy visiting her sister and seeing how my wife is also a pilot we both will be looking at the EMT/UPRT training. Earlier today I ordered Rich’s Emergency Maneuver Training book and the associated DVD; I already own and have read Rich’s Stall/Spin Awareness Book.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Regards,
Craig

FW Dave

traning in a exttra 300 will be great training.. that aircraft walks a fine line between control and loss of control when max performing it.. it will teach you alot! It talks to you.

belloypilot

Yes, it does talk to you. They disconnect the stall horn for the training but the stall buffet is so repeatable and pronounced it’s all indication needed. They teach you to recover from just about anything while staying within +0.5 and +2.5Gs. ‘Without spilling the coffee’, as they told the jet jockeys. Very impressive training from some very impressive instructors, but I can see the merits in doing this in aircraft similar to whatever you fly. Still, the fundamentals of the training are very transferrable. All manner of pilots flying all manner of aircraft go there to train.

MTV

Thanks for all of the comments / recommendations. I will most likely go to CP Aviation in Santa Paula, CA because of the positive reviews I have read above and that it is about an hour away from my sister-in-law/brother-in-laws house. My wife will enjoy visiting her sister and seeing how my wife is also a pilot we both will be looking at the EMT/UPRT training. Earlier today I ordered Rich’s Emergency Maneuver Training book and the associated DVD; I already own and have read Rich’s Stall/Spin Awareness Book.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Regards,
Craig

Craig,

While you're at Santa Paula, take some time to roam around the airport a bit. IT's an amazing little airport, and is legally a "Museum". They have one Sunday a month that the airplane owners there open their hangars and display them to receive tax break. I think it's first Sunday of the month. Last time I was there, there were five Howard DGA-15s, and several Staggerwings, amongst a bunch of other stuff.

MTV

Flying Dave

Wow. I have a couple of hours in a Howard and it was not enough. (It was traded for a Husky if you can believe that) What a cool airplane. To have 5 locally would be quite a treat.