USB Charger Mount locations other than instrument panel

Kent Wien

I had mine put up under the panel. That way you can run cords anywhere you need them and not see them sticking out of the panel.

IMG_3593.jpeg IMG_3733.jpeg

JACK

Ours in in the same spot as Kent's. That way you can run a cord up to the top of the glare shield or to an iPad on your knee.

TheFlyingMouse

I had the garmin USB GSB 15 aviation units installed on the left wall for the rear seat, and right wall for the front seat where I keep my map pocket. My phone goes there with Foreflight for reference. Works great!

Also did the Bose lemo connectors in the factory locations that they do for the newer Huskies next to the standard headphone jacks. In hindsight, I’d stick with changing batteries since it’s tough to eliminate power line noise when the lights are on.

Attachments

• IMG_7644.jpeg
    IMG_7644.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 25

wyopilotwyatt

Any pics for USB charger installs in A1A other than instrument panel? No room there.
Here is where I put it (Garmin GSB 15) for the rear seat passenger. Super easy install. I had an avionics shop install the power and ground pins in the included wiring harness since I don't have one of those $400 fancy pin crimpers to do the job correctly. Cost me $10. Took off the outside panel, drilled the mounting holes with a step-drill bit, ran the ground to the frame and the power wire to a 5-amp resettable breaker and a jumper from the breaker to the battery master relay. Installed the breaker just above the battery master relay. Labeled the wires and the breaker. Maybe 2 hrs work total. I'm slow. I.A. looked it over and signed it off in log book. IMG_0253.jpeg IMG_0253.jpeg

Last edited:

Snowbirdxx

I have a twin housing bolted to the sidewall below the rear powerlever, where the walls are screwed together. flat with the rear seat cushion. Have a total of 8 USB outlets. I am powering the two lightspeed headsets through 2 of them. Instead of batteries I am using a dummy battery housing that has a voltage converter. No noise, no more batteries and I can take the Dummy out and use batteries if II need to in a different plane.

I mounted an Appareo USB receptacle under the instrument panel on the right side, so that it would not interfere with the activation of the flap handle. I used a double plug unit, which I mostly use with iPads and similar accessories. I use Bose A20 headsets with the LEMO plugs, so I added LEMO receptacles next to the original Aviat Radio Shack type headset power plugs. I use adapter plugs and batteries in the headset controls when I fly in aircraft with no LEMO plugs.

I have also completely replaced my avionics except for the intercom (JPI-930 - the VM 1000 failed 3 times, two G5's, and a GTN 650xi, plus a Garmin GTX 345 ADS-B in out transponder). My vacuum and gyro systems were failing and my 430W worked, but was practically unreadable due to crazing of the screen, so I just sucked it up and upgraded. It all works great and is still a very capable IFR platform.

Last edited:

harry harper

Still on the panel, but pleasingly so. MD93 digi clock, timer, etc etc. Which I love. Has 2 USB ports. Replaced that confounding Astrotech clock/timer.
Also have 2 more USBs pugged in to a cig lighter adapter on the side of the center pedestal under the panel. Easily accessible in flight but out of the way.

Attachments

• md93.jpeg
    md93.jpeg
    15.8 KB · Views: 0