VMI Failure

Winterboer

So I'm flying along solid IFR over the coast thinking this sure is A LOT harder than the airbus when my VMI goes blank. All of it! I have zero engine instruments! My first Airbus instinct is to look for a tripped C/B and sure enough the VMI C/B is tripped. I try one reset and the C/B stays in but still no VMI readings. We divert, have to NDB hold! EGADS. Thank God for the 430! fly the ILS and land. I cant find any obvious problems with the wiring.

Any suggestions or anyone know of a good shop that knows the VMI?

Snowbirdxx

Mike,

sorry I have no advice for you, but if this would be my plane, a Hammer would help. I would never give away my mechanical / elecronic mix of engine instrumennts.

TomD

Winterboer

The hammer is quite tempting. I talked with VMI they think the Data Processing unit is toast. A short in any lead could have caused this so I need to check EVERY wire for a fault. I love this unit but its bad loosing all engine gauges at once. I would like to have some mechanical and electric gauges but not sure how to fit into my panel.

Snowbirdxx

Mike,

4 ea 21/2 instruments from EI should fit in the faceplate of the VMI.

I am not sure if the depth is enough but worth to check.

I d go for a EI Cluster, rather than replacing what you have. Workwise maybe a little more, moneywise ???? since I don´t know what cthe VMI costs, but you will never go blank again on all your engine gauges.

TomD